Forums
Search

WHY DO I HAVE TASSELS BUT NO KERNELS ON CORN

My corn looks great but cobs aren't making kernals.Is there something to do with the soil or that is the way corn grows? I live in zone nine it has been really hot and not much rain.The corn is already mature and has plenty of tassels.
Ernie

Each tassel is the male part of the corn plant.
Each corn silk hair is a female part, corresponding to each corn kernel on the cob.

Corn needs both wind pollination and bee pollination to fill out an ear of corn.

Did you grow your corn about 6-12" apart in several rows or in wide bands, with lots of compost, and organic mulch around each corn stalk?

Did you feed your corn weekly, a high nitrogen and high phosphorus food like fish emulsion, alfalfa meal, compost tea, or kelp tea?

Like (0 likes)
Two quick questions.
Is it true that some plants are self-pollinating?
If first question is true, can corn self-pollinate?

Feel kind of funny asking since in junior-high I actually did corn detasseling. We would only detassle male rows. About every fourth row was a male row. Never figured out the logic on that either.

Like (0 likes)
i have heard that if you shake the stalk at the tassel the pollen will fall down and pollinate the silks.i have not done this and i don't know for a fact if it is true-just fyi. now i am curious to know if it works! happy og'ing

Like (0 likes)
Question one--yes. Especially tomatoes, except the potato-leafed varieties (brandywine comes to mind) and the cherry tomatoes. Only an issue if you're saving seed.

Question two--no.

Gotta plant at least three rows at least 4 feet long to get enough avtivity going between wind and bees to pollinate your corn. Remember, each kernel is a seed. No pollination, no seed production.

Theresa

Like (0 likes)
grapes are self-pollenating. as i remember... their flowers are actually closed orbs!
most plants can be self pollenating,most have both male & female parts. some fruit trees need a pollenator, many plum trees don't self pollenate. santa rosa is the "universal pollenator" for japanese plums. corn has both male & female parts. the pollen falles from the head & iswind borne to the tassle. the particles of pollen don't know if the tassle they fall on is from the same plant or another. any wind borne pollenated plant is best planted closly togehter. you don't want to plant a single long row of corn. the ears fillout best when planted in a block, so the pollen falls on the plnat next to it rather than the ground next to it.

hope this helped. i didn't have time or a place for any veggies this year! had to make the front pretty for the city! the "s.40" should be ready for veggies next yr tho!!! now it's a varity of piles, 2 shreaded tree stump (scyamore & non) piles. several rock piles (for the 2 ponds & stream we'll be putting in.) wood piles, mulch piles that never got piled into compost heaps.
if anyone wants to come over for some of those sycamore grindings (to make transplant water out of) you're welcome. probly a long drive for those not in so.cal. but anyone who wants to try is welcome. i'm in glendale. let me know.

Planning to be a Cancer survivor!!! No trees were killed or animals harmed in the sending of this message; however a great many electrons were horribly inconvenienced.
Like (0 likes)
Are you talking about the tassels at the top of each plant, or the ones that stick out of the top of each corn cob? Corn is wind pollinated and one must plant a thick stand of corn with enough space between rows to allow for the wind to do its thing with the pollen. The pollen forms on the tassels at the top of each plant and the wind moves the pollen throughout the stand of corn, getting on the female fibers. If you plant just a few long rows with corn, the wind can't get the pollen onto all the female fibers. No pollination occurs and the kernels don't form.

If you get some kernels forming, but lots of empty spaces on each cob, then the pollen didn't reach every female fiber. One fiber + pollen = one kernel.

When you go to eat an "ear" of corn, those fibers you pull off are what allowed the kernels to form.

If you don't give the corn the nutrients it needs and enough water, it won't grow as well and when it comes time for pollination to occurr, some plants may be ready and others won't...

Nothing to be done about it except plant another batch of corn and try again. But I'd wait and see if the corn does ripen. Last summer I had corn with drying silk fibers and thought I didn't have any kernels, but I waited and a few weeks later I had nice plump kernels!

Like (0 likes)
Ok..one more time, The stuff at the top of the plant or stalk is a tassle. It carries the pollen for the kernals. The cob will put out silks at the end of them to catch the pollen. Up untill the kernals are mature they are called blisters. You may have heard the local farmers saying well my corn is in blisters so it wont be long now. It takes about 3 weeks after silks come out for the kernals to mature. You dont have to shake the stalk if you had a windy day since the silks have appeared. Try shaking 50 acres of corn. If you had them planted close enough and had more than one row.
Wait till the silks on the cobs begin to turn brown or reddish brown, then peel one back while it is on the stalk, just a little to look at the kernals. If they are golden yellow or white,depending on corn planted. Then they are ready. If the silks are still white, water, just run water down the row. Also. DId you roll the dirt to the corn when it was about knee high. Corn needs to be bedded or have bottom 2 or 3 inches covered up at some point to prevent sucker stalks from forming off the roots where the stalk goes into the ground. Sucker stalks can prevent the main stalk from forming ears.
Next time you want to plant something, try www. then whatever you want to plant then .com TOns of information out there on all kinds of vegetables. Not trying to be sarcastic or nothing, but come on, we all have computers. Use them if you dont know something about something.

Am I in my cabin dreaming? Or are you really scheming, to take my ship away from me? You better think about it. I just cant live without it. So please dont take my ship from me!!!
Like (0 likes)

OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image