Forums
Search

Edible Chipmunk Deterrent

This year the chipmunks have been digging holes everywhere. A few weeks ago in order to add new herbs I bought a curry plant at the farmers market. I decided to plant it in a flower box on the deck but was worried the chippers would dig it up since they made several trips to that box every day to dig holes. Since planting the curry in the box they haven't even approached the deck.

They were still making holes in the garden and one ruined a watermelon transplant, so I stopped at the farmers market Tuesday morning and got more curry plants hoping they would keep the munks out of the garden too. I planted them right away and so far so good - no further chipmunk damage. We're going to keep another in a pot and move the pot to areas where we don't want chipmunks digging.

I tried cooking with fresh curry tonight. It is very good. Definitely a permanent addition to the herb collection. Smiler

"Let's be realistic and try the impossible". ~ Che Guevara
With strategic Editing:

Title: Edible Chipmunk
Post: I tried cooking with fresh curry tonight. It is very good.

Big Grin

Like (0 likes)
So Matt, you have a recipe for Chipmunk Curry? Big Grin

Onions planted strategically will also deter tunneling critters.

Althea, let me know if Curry will overwinter for you. I haven't had any luck. It's probably the smell the little munks don't like.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Everything that blooms and grows, the garden angel scatters and sows...in the land of corn and pigs...Iowa Zone 4-5

Like (0 likes)
Hmmm...first thing I thought of too, was Edible Chipmonks! Big Grin

Anyway, I have never seen a curry plant for sale anywhere. I will have to look for them.

I haven't seen chipmonks here, but the squirrels bury the black walnuts EVERYWHERE in the fall, including in my flower boxes until I bring them onto the enclosed porch!

Thanks for the tip!

Like (0 likes)
Ha ha Matt. Smiler
I've heard they taste like squirrel. Big Grin

Mumsey, curry plants are hardy in zones 8+, so I'll need to bring them in over winter. They are very aromatic, so yes, it must be the scent that bothers chipmunks. I love it.

Beansprout, squirrels have stopped digging the flower box since planting the curry, so it may help keep them away as well.

"Let's be realistic and try the impossible". ~ Che Guevara
Like (0 likes)
Well, we had a festival in town last weekend & there was an "exhibit", for lack of a better word, from an organic herb farm there.

Hell, the place is only about 5 miles from my house & I didn't even know they existed!

I bought a Santolina, 2 purple basils, and lemon balm (which I discovered already growing in my garden 2 days later!).

I asked about curry & they didn't have it, but told me of a farm 10 miles away that DID have it. Haven't been there yet, but she thought they were $3.99 each.

Did you pay that much?

Like (0 likes)

OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image