Forums
Search

Pickle In Plastic?

I was just wondering if it's okay to pickle your cucs in plastic containers. I have been told that when you are canning you must use glass(don't know if that's true or not) but in this case i'm just talking about pickling then eatting after about two weeks not about long term storage.

------

This is the recipe I plan to use:

REFRIGERATOR DILL CUCUMBER PICKLES

Fresh dill
Whole pickle sized cucumbers
Chopped fresh garlic
1 tbsp. pickling spice
Crushed dried red hot pepper (or a whole dried hot pepper)
Brine - 3/4 c. distilled white vinegar
4 tbsp. Kosher salt to each qt. of water

In a gallon jar (ingredients can be divided up into smaller jars if desired), layer fresh dill on the bottom and lots of chopped fresh garlic, 1 tablespoon pickling spice, some crushed, dried red hot peppers. Pack in whole, pickle-size cucumbers, then add more dill.
For the brine, combine 3/4 cup distilled white vinegar and 4 tablespoons of Kosher salt to each quart of water that has been boiled and cooled first.

Leave out on the counter for 2 days, then store in refrigerator. The pickles keep well until Christmas and are also fine after that.

-----

If you know of a reason why I shouldn't use this one or could suggest a better one I'd be open to it.

Thanks!

~ Krystin and Donald Scott Documenting the humble beginnings of The Scott Family Farm at http://thescottfamilyfarm.blogspot.com
there are two enemies of preserving food -

oxygen and moisture

gosh, just so happens that the two "perfect" barriers to oxygen and moisture are "metal" and "glass" - neither metal or glass is permeable to either moisture or oxygen.

short term (2-6 weeks) prolly don't make a hoot.
long term, plastic ain't your friend.

Like (0 likes)
Ditto of Wiki.

Many plastics are air permeable -- very, very slow rate that air will pass through, but it can. Probably an even larger problem is they are very easy to deform and thus lose a seal.

Like (0 likes)
My Mom makes a refrigerator pickle recipe that sounds like the one you are going to make, she has made them for several years. I will be chatting with her this evening and see if she has ever used a plastic jar. Will let you now.

Like (0 likes)
My mother makes something similar that she freezes in plastic. Works fine.

North Central Illinios

Like (0 likes)
I don't like plastic for anything, but that's my personal preference.

For pickles made in the frig, it will work fine. BUT, you will never get the pickle smell out of the plastic-ever.

At the restaurant, our pickled come in five gallon plastic buckets. We save all the buckets because people frequently come ask for them for feed or fishing buckets. But it doesn't matter how often you wash a pickle bucket, the smell never comes out. If you store flour in a plastic pickle bucket, you will end up with pickle flavored flour.

I'm rambling, my point is, plan to use those plastic containters for pickles only, or throw them out when the pickles are gone.

If it were me, I'd get some gallon glass jars.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Bloom where you are planted.

Zone 4 Central South Dakota

Like (0 likes)

OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image