Forums
Search

depth for fence around garden?

I've been gardening in organic raised beds for a couple of years now and am consolidating some beds and cleaning things up this spring and desperately need a fence around the beds to keep all the critters out. We live in zone 4/5 New England, US.

How deep in the ground do I need to bury the fence to keep out moles, groundhogs, rabbits etc? And how high for deer? (So far the deer haven't been too bad since new construction near us seems to forced their move across the street to better woods!)

What kind of fencing do others suggest? Chicken wire, plastic mesh, etc? We'll be putting in endposts and a gate and attaching the fencing to the beams. Now that the snow is (nearly!) gone I'm raring to go. :-)

Thank you!

Karen

I placed hardware cloth,a type of metal screening 18-24 inches deep,extending above ground about a foot.This depth prevents woodchucks(baby chucks can squeeze through a picket fence) and cuts down on wood voles.Chicken wire will keep out chuckies. Above ground any one inchsquare wire fence attached on the interior to a picket fence will help. My trellis for peas and beans on the ends of the garden are high and prevent the deer from jumping in.The slopes on the other two sides are too steep for them .(garden is terraced on the side of a hill)
I'm northern NH,zone4

"Maybe one of the secrets of survival is to learn where to dance." Stanley Kunitz
Like (0 likes)
Welcome, K,

Like franeli, we bury the bottom foot and a half of a 4 foot wire fence, with 2"X 3"openings, below the soil line. Chucks won't dig once they hit that "impediment".

As we line each of our raised beds with 1/4" hardward cloth, that protects each bed from invasion from voles.

Also, another "chuck preventative measure": Bend back and OUT and detach the top 8" or so of the fence around the garden. When Mr. Chuck climbs your fence, he'll start to dangle from that loose, bent backward top and flop back outside the garden to the ground! :O

gardenz

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ [i]"To Live Is Not Just To Survive, But To Thrive With Passion, Compassion, Humor & Style."[/i] ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ My Blogs: [URL=http://www.lindafrank.blogspot.com] GardenzOwn [/URL] [URL=http://www.OurGardenEarth.blogspot.com]OurGardenEarth[/URL]
Like (0 likes)

OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image