Forums
Search

First time trying to grow stuff and catterpillars are beating me

I went to the helpful gardener and couldn't find anyone to help me out. So I am here trying to get help. I am currently using Safer brand caterpillar killer. It works well but I have to retreat my plants because they continue to come back, I would rather not have to use any sprays on my plant... Is there anything I can do naturally to keep the moths that lay the eggs away from my plants?

Photos (1)
Catterpillar

You need to use a physical barrier like a floating row cover to keep the moths from laying their eggs on your plants. Sprays will only kill what is on the plants not keep the moths away.

What type of plants are you trying to grow?

Zone 7b  Southeastern PA

Like (0 likes)
quote:
Originally posted by brownrexx:
You need to use a physical barrier like a floating row cover to keep the moths from laying their eggs on your plants. Sprays will only kill what is on the plants not keep the moths away.

What type of plants are you trying to grow?

I am trying to grow "tobacco". My mother said that tenting them would be the best way too. I thought I would tent them each night and uncover them in the morning. This would be a lot of work though. What type of protectant would allow the most light and air in, while keeping out pests?

Like (0 likes)
I use regular birdnetting to keep the moths off the plants.

Key to using birdnetting:

Keep it off the plants, not touching them. Keep it secure on the bottom, so the moths have no way to get in.

I've grown tobacco. It gets very tall, which I assume you already know. It will be hard to protect by the time it is 6 feet tall.

You can handpick the caterpillars, of course.

How many tobacco plants are you growing?

There is a pretty good tobacco growing forum, now if I can just remember what it was called.

http://www.howtogrowtobacco.co...m/viewforum.php?f=34

There are several others. Just type "how to grow tobacco" in the google search spot.

Where are you located?

MARYLAND zone 6
Like (0 likes)
Eat the worms. They be better for ya than the tobacco.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Gardening at 5000 ft. elevation in Northern Utah  Zone 5

Have a great gardening day!

http://donce.lofthouse.com/jam...lanting/planting.htm

Like (0 likes)
Oh James!!!

Like (0 likes)
Still laughing......

Zone 7b  Southeastern PA

Like (0 likes)

Zone 5/6  Northern New Mexico

Like (0 likes)
Still don't know your general location...so advice is still hard to give out.
I'm in SW Ga. and those look about like the same worms I had a major problem with this year...first time.
Soapy water in a spray bottle worked for me. I put about a teaspoon of joy lemon detg. in a qt. spray bottle & filled it with water.
You do have to check every day & spray as necessary.
You can also hand pick them off daily.

I've just had a breakout of cabbage worms...picked 15 off my cabbage/broccoli & it is LATE in the year for them to still be active here.

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence."  David Ben-Gurion

S.W. Ga., zone 8b but acts more like zone 9

Like (0 likes)
James, you're killin' me.

Like (0 likes)
That Safer brand caterpillar killer is Bacillus thuringiensis - Kurstaki, a bacterium that only affects certain leaf eating larva. This is one of the safest insecticides you could use, but does need to be reapplied as the bacterium is washed from the plant by dews and rain or is rendered ineffective by sunlight.
Other means of control are Floating Row Covers, encouraging predators by planting those food sources they need, an insectuary, interplanting with plants that can confuse the moths that lay the eggs that become these larva, and not spraying broad spectrum poisons, including pyrethrins, that kill off the predators of these larva.

The sign of a good gardener is not a green thumb, it is brown knees.

West central Michigan along the lakeshore.

Like (0 likes)
Kickingwing,

So how are you making out? And you forgot to mention where you are located. That will help posters offer advice.

MARYLAND zone 6
Like (0 likes)

OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image