Forums
Search

unripe apples

is there anything I can do with unripe apples?

There is nothing wrong with them, I had to prune them off the tree.

Thanks

Alaskan

Alaskan (gardening in zones 2 to 5) (*SPRING* avatar...Spring scheduled for May 7th)
Add a bit of water & gently boil 'em down to extract their pectin. Drain the pulp and keep the viscous juice. Use it later to help jams & jellies jell. Pectin is supposed to help clear arteries of plaque and cholesterol. Green apples have more pectin than ripe ones. Compost the pulp, of course.
Ria

Gardening with the Gods in Colorado
Like (0 likes)
ooooh could I use it to jell a pie???

as in to make a cream pie?

or pudding?

or turn a saucy apple pie to firm?

Alaskan (gardening in zones 2 to 5) (*SPRING* avatar...Spring scheduled for May 7th)
Like (0 likes)
Do you know of "Certo" brand stuff found in the home preserving area of stores? Certo is pectin, and it is used in home jam and jelly making. It is sharply sour in flavour, as would be your homemade version. Alot of sugar would be needed to counter balance it.
Not ideal for firming pies! You could try unflavoured gelatin, like Knox brand, which has no taste at all, instead. (For baked pies, you'd have to cool them completely to see the gelatine effect.)

Like (0 likes)
Loamy is right about the sourness, acidity. If your recipe calls for lemon, pectin might fit. Brew up a batch and taste it. You know about the flavor (or flavour, Loamy) of your green apples.

Ria

Gardening with the Gods in Colorado
Like (0 likes)
Thinking along these lines, could you use an unripe apple to make relish or chutney? or use it for some acid in a vinaigrette, maybe?

Ambitious gardener and target shooter, formerly known as needmorespace. Studying chemistry for a better solar panel, not a better insecticide...
Like (0 likes)
I would think that should work, needsmorespace.
Depending on how immature the apples were - if they were nearly full size, but unripe, one could place them in a paper bag with a banana (any really ripe fruit) and the ethylene gas could get them to ripen up.

I've been racking my brain about this since it was posted. I remember my Aunt Ada making a spiced crabapple preserve. They were left nearly whole, were studded with cloves in a thick syrup, and I think I remember cinnamon sticks floating around. Crab apples are notoriously sour. Could sour, unripe apples be used as a substitute, I wonder? I must dig through some old recipes, I think!

Studding the apples with cloves alone would make apple-spice air fresheners, too. You'd want to cover at least 2/3's of the apple's surface with cloves, and rig up a hanger.

Another, more crafty-than-edible use could be those applehead dolls. Does anyone else remember them? Peel and carve the apple, let it shrink and turn brown, then make clothing and a doll figure from stiff wire. I do remember someone saying tart apples kept the longest.

Like (0 likes)
thats a thought, maybe they would dry kinda as is and could go into a wreath? (I am not sure they are *that* small but I think I will try at least one)

The big problem (and the reason I am always asking about what to do with odds and ends of veggies) is because I don't *achem* *choke* *gasp* compost!!!! Eeker

I *used* to (when I lived in Texas), but where I live now the summer temps are very low. The average high for July is 61. It simply stays to cool and cloudy all the time. That means that if done *perfectly* compost happens in two years. I throw most of my garden waste in an unused/unseen corner and just leave it there, but veggie pealings and such I throw out (scared they will atract bears).

It just kills me *blach*.

The only solution I could think of was to have a worm composter, but my husband said no (we are also very short on space). I am thinking two more years and I will be able to get him to agree to a worm composter, but until then......

thanks for all the odd fruit and veggie suggestions! Big Grin

Like (0 likes)

OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image