Forums
Search

thin wall on peppers

A few of my bell pepper plants have thin walls. To the point of them being paper like. It seems to just be on 1 side. And effecting mostly the bell peppers. I planted them w/ 2 heaping handfuls of compost & a homemade fertilizer mix.I would think this is a deficiency of some sort. But what?

If it's on one side, could it be sun scald?

Two handfuls of compost isn't very much. I would side dress with compost about now.

MD Eastern Shore, Zone 7
Like (0 likes)
Sometimes the thin walls can be from uneven watering.
Peppers like moist soil, not wet, a well drained soil and they are heavy feeders. During hot weather keep the soil moist between waterings by using a mulch. Usually the thin walls are from lack of water or inconsistent waterings which can also cause a bitter taste. During the hotter parts of the growing season check to insure the soil is moist. Look for organic fertilizers that have more phosphors and potassium. Most fertilizers have three numbers (10 - 10 - 10) the first number represent nitrogen, the second phosphors and the third potassium. You would look for an organic fertilizer with numbers similar to this 0 - 10 - 10. You can start with a balanced organic fertilizer with equal numbers (10-10-10) then later in the season dial back on the nitrogen as the plants start setting fruit. Remember the old adage that too much of a good thing can be bad.

Zone 8b

Like (0 likes)
In the early stages, bell peppers do not have thick walls.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Everything that blooms and grows, the garden angel scatters and sows...in the land of corn and pigs...Iowa Zone 4-5

Like (0 likes)
I've been at this for 22 lovely organic yr's & still am learning & experimenting. Thanks all for your advice! I'll try side dressing & a later timing formulafor the homemade fertilizer. Started the peppers in Feb.. Sure they are not in their young stages. Many thanks.

Like (0 likes)
I think Mumsey meant the pepper itself being in the early stages of growth, NOT the plant. Smaller, immature peppers have thinner skins.

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence."  David Ben-Gurion

S.W. Ga., zone 8b but acts more like zone 9

Like (0 likes)
Peppers do not start with thick walls they grow into them if there is a good balance of soil nutrients and sufficient soil moisture to move those nutrients to the plants. The only way to know if your soil has a balanced nutrient level is with a good, reliable soil test.
Too much of some nutrients can cause problems that appear to be a nutrient deficiency, for example too much Potash in the soil can inhibit Nitrogen uptake. But then again too little of one nutrient can inhibit a plants ability to utilize another nutrient, for example plants need enough Zinc to properly utilize Iron and Magnesium, while too much Zinc will keep the plant from utilizing them also.

The sign of a good gardener is not a green thumb, it is brown knees.

West central Michigan along the lakeshore.

Like (0 likes)

OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image