Forums
Search

What's eating my cucumbers?

I see alot of you posting about cucumber beetles but I'm not sure if that's whats eating mine. I check them in the morning and then in the afternoon...but I can never seem to see any type of bugs, I have noticed a few flys in the garden but nothing noticably eating at the cucumbers but in the past couple of days they look like "skeletons". Can there be something that is eating them overnight or can they be so small they are hard to see? You'd think something doing that much damage can be seen right away. I want to try and treat the problem but how can I if I don't knwo what it attacking them?

Take a flashlight & look at your garden before daylight arrives. Could possibly be slugs- they like to devour veggies and fruits like squash, cucumbers and melons. In the daytime you may see slime trails left behind. Should you find them, apply coffee. There was a post about using coffee to ward off slugs recently so if you do a forum search you'll see the info. There may be some other remedies should they be the culprits.
Toadherder

Like (0 likes)
I'm sorry Bernadette, is it your cucumbers(the veggies) or the leaves and stems that are being eaten? If it's the vegggie part then my previous post would be my advice. If it is the other parts of the plant it may be cucumber beetles.
Toadherder

Like (0 likes)
My ? is what is NOT eating my cucs!!! When the leaves look skeletons the usual culprit is the pickle worm or one of his cousins. Look on the underside of the leaves for real tiny worms. They may have moved to other leaves, so check leaves that are just starting to look chewed. Bt works for these and other caterpillar bad guys. I always have to spray bt on cucs, used covers this year too, managed to get a small crop.....and then they died when I went out of town for a few days. I was knocking, by hand, the stink bugs, squash bugs, etc. into a bowl of soapy water and that was most effective....as long as I was home...If I get a few for fresh eating, and manage to pickle a few jars, I feel like I've done well.

Zone 9 Melbourne, Fl. Gardening is a class in continuing education. Enjoy!
Like (0 likes)
Cucumber (pickle) Beetle larva are almost the same color as the leaf they eat and the will be on the underside, easily missed. The larva are quite small too. Control can include hand squishing, applications of BTK, Insecticidal soap, pyrethrins, Neem oil sprays.
http://entm29.entm.purdue.edu/acorn/pest.aspx?pest=Spot...iped_Cucumber_Beetle

Like (0 likes)
Hi Bernadette, I am sorry that you have problems and would really like to know where you live.????
I have just planted my first cucumber which I grew from seed and have now planted out, but seems healthy at the moment, long thin cu's. I am really worried, as first year
also for pumpkins. ( I live in England, Uk South, Essex)
Planted 18 plants, only have 5 now). We would never harm the slugs and snails, but have saved 5 plants by using corrogated u. pvc covering them carefully.
hope all goes well for you,
chillipepper

Like (0 likes)

OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image