Forums
Search

new use for old doors

Hi as you guy's know we moved this summer,lots of work but we're enjoying it.We replaced the old doors throughout the house,and just didn't know what to do with the old ones.That's when it hit me.I have trouble getting under the house without crawling on my belly(not a pretty sight)I store a lot of stuff under there.So I'm gonna lay the doors flat install some casters,and roll them under holding the boxes of Christmas deco's ect,I'm even tying colour coded pull cords for retrieving them.Is this a great idea or WHAT?
Am I getting smarter?or losing my marbles.I think it's the latter by gum.Smiler
Mavis

I LIVE in the garden ,I sleep in the house
That sounds like a great idea! My favorite use for old doors is hooking a couple or three together with regular door hinges and making them into a folding free-standing screen. Seen this alot in decorating magazines and shows. You can hang quilts off one side of them, or even use them as a movable art wall to hang photos or prints or even kids artwork! Jane

Like (0 likes)
these doors had holes were the hardware used to be so I don't think your solution would work for me,but it's a great idea.
Mavis

Like (0 likes)
Good idea littlefrog! Work smarter, not harder!

Give three fold what you take.
Like (0 likes)
It depends on the type of door you have but they can be used for computer tables with book shelves for support on the ends or the open crates on the ends for support.
How about work benches that hang up when you are done with your project.

Altagarden
Mi Z4-5

Like (0 likes)
I have an old door as a laundry folding table in my creepy old basement...not pretty...but it works great!

Like (0 likes)
To engineer that retrievable storage idea:

take a few cheap 2X4's and create a "lip" around the perimeter of the doors, so boxes don't slide off when you pull the doors out, saving you the trouble of crawling under to retrieve them.

That's a great idea for old doors, putting casters on them!

[hr]I have three seasons: GROW, *SEW*, and SEED CATALOG!
Like (0 likes)
We also use old doors for work space, i.e. laundry, etc. Also just to use as a shelf to keep things off the floor in the basement.

Great minds work together!! Smiler

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Everything that blooms and grows, the garden angel scatters and sows...in the land of corn and pigs...Iowa Zone 4-5

Like (0 likes)
Not a bad idea! You guys sure have a bunch of them. I used some old doors (really bad shape, and shoddily made in the first place) to make a raised bed when we first moved here. My old door dilemma was all the glass shower and patio doors we found stored in the basement when we moved here. I just lay them over my raised tire beds for coldframes

Like (0 likes)
Hubby spotted some hollow-core bi-fold closet doors (therefore narrow--about 15" wide) at one of the home improvement stores some time ago that were on the get-rid-of-real-cheap pile. He knew I'd find a use for them--and after I got done jumping up & down with glee, he ended up going into his scrounged 2x4 pile and building me shelves of them in the basement and mounting shoplights underneath. Now I have 6 lighted shelves slightly wider than flats where I start hundreds of plants each spring, start cuttings anytime, and safely winter over some of my tender perennial herbs!

Like (0 likes)
Brilliant.He's a keeper,Ilove to get a new idea for somthing old.That's what these looong coold winter day's are for.
Good luck to you and yours
Mavis

Like (0 likes)
Wow them are good ideas. I used one at one time for mixing paint and then we throw the door away. but now I know what I can do with the old doors as well.

Like (0 likes)

OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image