Forums
Search

No dill in dill pickles

Help, please. I just finished making dill pickles, and when I had all of the jars in the canner, I discovered that I had forgotten to stick dill into 3 of the jars!! Don't know what to do with them now, how they would taste (I did put a small amount of dill seed in them, tho). Could I wait until they have cooled, then repack them again with new brine, and all new spices & all, and re-process? Any help would be appreciated, and THANKS!

Hey, Wis-

Are you from Wisconsin? I grew up in Neenah/Menasha.

I wouldn't worry about it at all. They'll be fine. I only use dill seed in mine. I often forget the garlic, but no harm/no foul.

I think that the repacking process would degrade the quality enough that it's not worth it.

Diana

MD Eastern Shore, Zone 7
Like (0 likes)
I also think that the dill seeds will be fine but if you want you can stick some dill weed (leaves) in the freezer and place some into each jar when you open it for extra dill flavor.

Zone 7b  Southeastern PA

Like (0 likes)
Yes, Diana I live in Wisconsin, just north of Oconto along the north bay shore.

Thanks, both you and brownrexx, I first thought that it would be o.k. to leave them as they are, they all sealed and I would hate to think of unpacking them, reheating the brine and doing another water bath. I have plenty of others that have all the works in them (the full Monty). I guess that's what comes from being in too much of a hurry.

Like (0 likes)
I make refrigerator dills where you add dill heads and then just let them sit in the refrigerator for a minimum of a week. After that they taste like dill so that why I was thinking that you could add dill leaves as you open them and it would flavor the brine in a week or so.

Zone 7b  Southeastern PA

Like (0 likes)
Mark the jars so when you go to use them, you know these are the ones sans dill seed.

I went strictly to dill seed, as the dill head takes so much room in the jar.

Like (0 likes)

OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image