Forums
Search

concrete planter

I saw a special on our PBS station the other night, well the last few minutes of it. It was on how to make concrete planters/pots. From what I gathered on the show, they mixed some extra material with the cement. Anyone have an idea on how to do this or a recipe to mix. thanks..........

Eastern Montana, almost North Dakota.....zone 4
Are you by any chance referring to hypertufa mixes? A hypertufa mix is roughtly 1/3 portland cement, 1/3 sand (or vermiculite), and 1/3 organic matter (peat moss, chopped leaves, soil, coir...whatever). Add enough water to get it to the right consistency for your project (pouring into molds needs milkshake consistancy, and modelling needs doughy consistency) and the mold it and let it sit to cure for a while before removing it from the mold to continue curing. With larger planters, I recommend you use chicken wire or hardware cloth or even nylon mesh as a reinforcing support.

You can get some really neat effects by sticking things in the mold before pouring the mix in, like rock salt (for a pitted texture) marbles, shells, leaves...etc... Another fun thing to do is to use colored sand and add it last, mixing it in swirls, so that it looks like naturally veined rocks. I like to use large cardboard boxes as molds (fill the center box with sand to keep it from collapsing), and then when I peel the cardboard away, I use a wire brush to roughen up the outside of the planter to make it look like natural stone.

Like (0 likes)
Thanks for the info, this sounds like what I saw on PBS. I'll have to give it a try, thanks again.....

Eastern Montana, almost North Dakota.....zone 4
Like (0 likes)
Possibly could've been papercrete? I didn't see it, so I don't know, but papercrete is a lightweight option that is used in place of concrete.

If you're interested, try looking it up on the search at http://www.motherearthnews.com.

~ True grits, more grits, fish grits and collards. Life is good, where grits are swollar'd.
Like (0 likes)
To model it, I take it you use gloves? And work it like you'd work clay? To mold it, what do you use for molds, and do you use something to coat your molds to get them to release when you're done?

Do you know of any websites on doing this? I've got a daughter who wants to make garden stuff with concrete and cement, and I'd love to learn more.

~ True grits, more grits, fish grits and collards. Life is good, where grits are swollar'd.
Like (0 likes)

OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image