Forums
Search

anyone ever have code enforcement issues?

My back yard was covered in weeds, but they were under a foot tall. I had mowed it a few months ago, and it kept the foxtails down, but those mustard weeds kept growing..they were just under a foot tall, and sparse..I got a code enforcement letter in the mail saying to clean it up or they will and charged me accordingly...

Funny thing is, in order to see my back yard, you have to be on private property, unless you walk up that drainage ditch they built...I wonder if this is just a "general" warning that they issue EVERYONE????? I know they do that with dog tags/license on my street..They issue tickets to everyone, and its up to the person to prove their dogs are tagged/licensed...

Looks like I will be rubbin on the good ole aspercreme and hula hoeing the back yard Frowner

I did a little last night (I got the letter yesterday, just didn't get a chance to open my mail till later in the evening) Gonna try to get the rest and then call Code Enforcement and tell em to "PROVE" my yard is dirty...

Ever since they built those dang houses behind me, its been heck. I had been staying with my grampa (he raised me since I was 3) and I had always kept his yard immaculate. We never ONCE went a year without getting a code enforcement violation pertaining to weed abatement Mad after the houses were built..the code enforcement officer even STOPPED coming to my grampas house because he KNEW it was clean..

I've only had this house for 8 months, and I have made leaps and bounds in terms of cleaning it up...I tell ya, those yuccas..you can pull 1000 dead frawns off it, and it looks like you didnt even touch it Eeker

ok, rant over lol. It just really irks me that my neighbor can say "I'm tired of looking at his yard, full of weeds..do something about it" to code enforcement, but can't even say it to me...

BTW here isa pic of the yard that got the violation..I posted it before in my thread, but here it is again

[hr]Formerly known as determined 2b healthy. We must replace that which we took, and we must realize that the earth was here before us, and will be here after us. It is up to us to take care of her, for she gives life, and can also take it.

Photos (1)
back40small

just about every city is broke, so the more obscure the law and the bigger the fines, the more it gets enforced.

if the previous owner let the place go, the neighbors probably still have issues with that. some might not even realize you're "new"

and if it is a neighbor ratting you out - they're quite free to invite the code officer onto their 'private property' to view yours....

Like (0 likes)
but, but, but... there's not even anything growing there? How can they possibly call that weedy?

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Bloom where you are planted.

Zone 4 Central South Dakota

Like (0 likes)
Remember Allmuxed up out there in California?

She fought them for years! Her property was absolutly gorgeous, but they found offence after offence. She was always in court. Good Grief!

MARYLAND zone 6
Like (0 likes)
Yes and they mean it too. They will charge you hundreds of $$$...do think about inviting them over to look. They were probably used to the property looking bad before you came along. And be extra nice about it. Then they will leave you alone...Thats how it works in sunny California...

Live, Love & Garden, veggie gal

Coastal Newport Beach, CA, Zone 10b

Like (0 likes)
http://forums.organicgardening...Type=1&search=Search

Check out these old posts when you are bored.

She was in Southern California, but also had a ranch elsewhere.

MARYLAND zone 6
Like (0 likes)
quote:
Originally posted by lisaaann:
http://forums.organicgardening...Type=1&search=Search

Check out these old posts when you are bored.

She was in Southern California, but also had a ranch elsewhere.

that was a beautiful house allmuxedup has...guess it can happen to anyone...

I called around today, and was put on hold, hung up on, put on hold, and then got a message "thanky you, blah blah blah, our offices are closed, our hours are from 7:30am to 5:30PM, please call back blah blah"..this was at 3:30PM!!!!

So I just spent the last 2.5 hours doing some work on the irrigation to the rear, and painted the sides of the shed..

A few months ago, I got some roof patch that would otherwise have gone to the dump..I also took some "mystery" cans that ended up being paint...

so NOW they can't get me for blight, or eyesore, or anything on the shed.. Trash day is thursday, so once the trash is dumped, I can finish the yard...

And I think I have a feeling I know who called. I'm having issues with my Mom and stepdad, who live next door. I turned them in for insurance fraud (still under investigation) and I think this is their way of payback, although I reported anonymously...Everytime I took a picture, they were over there scoffing, making snide comments..they can smooch my behind, because when I call the officer over for an inspection later this week or early next week, there won't be ONE violation to be written Big Grin

[hr]Formerly known as determined 2b healthy. We must replace that which we took, and we must realize that the earth was here before us, and will be here after us. It is up to us to take care of her, for she gives life, and can also take it.

Photos (1)

Like (0 likes)
still have to do a second coat, and do the larger shed on the left, but it doesn't/didn't look as terrible as the smaller shed...

not bad for free paint I'm sure was 10 years old...saved the paint from the dump AND put it to good use Big Grin

Photos (1)

Like (0 likes)
Sorry to hear this is going on. Strange that they would rat you out like that. There's someone in our hood that keeps bags and bags of trash in their front yard which probably attracts all kinds of vermin and the city can't do a thing about it!! Your yard looks a lot better than his. I can't figure out what the deal is, but as WikiLeeks said, it's all about the money.

Mil Apostol Chef, gardener, beekeeper, wild edible forager http://www.UrbanFarmAndBeehives.com
Like (0 likes)
A very common "nuisance" ordinance many cities, towns, villages, and townships adopt states that the property owner cannot allow any vegetative grow in excess of 8 inches grow, and many places where that has been challanged have been found to be unconstitutionally vague.
My township, a few years ago, was about to adopt a similar ordinance until I pointed out to the supervisor, clerk, treasure, and trustees that the sweet corn they had growing in their gardens violated that ordinance, vegetative growth in excess of 8 inches. Many courts have determined that a law cannot leave it to the discretion of the enforcing party to determine what constitutes a violation.

The sign of a good gardener is not a green thumb, it is brown knees.

West central Michigan along the lakeshore.

Like (0 likes)
quote:
Originally posted by Kimm1:
A very common "nuisance" ordinance many cities, towns, villages, and townships adopt states that the property owner cannot allow any vegetative grow in excess of 8 inches grow, and many places where that has been challanged have been found to be unconstitutionally vague.
My township, a few years ago, was about to adopt a similar ordinance until I pointed out to the supervisor, clerk, treasure, and trustees that the sweet corn they had growing in their gardens violated that ordinance, vegetative growth in excess of 8 inches. Many courts have determined that a law cannot leave it to the discretion of the enforcing party to determine what constitutes a violation.

thats what I'm thinking..a general "nuisance" violation...havent done much more..I still have a large blue barrel I can fill with weeds, but to lift it and dump it into the green barrel would be the issue...

called around more today, and left a message with the "officer" and spoke to another very nice lady in the office. I explained her the situation, and she said she would "urge" the officer to take a look next friday (a week from this friday)..so that gives me 2 trash days to clean up REAL good...I'm hoping for whoever turned me in, to see the officer NOT writing me violations, and DOCUMENTING the condition of my yard for further complaints, if any...

The lady in the office DID confirm it was two of my neighbors, one male, and one female .....she didn't say who, but that there were 10 complaints in ONE week..sounds like someone is pushing to get me fined haha

I can't wait for the officer to show up..... Big Grin

Like (0 likes)
In your situation, the violations may be overkill (but really, 10 complaints??), but solid weeds - even if under 12" tall - can definitely be a sign of shoddy care &/or abandonment & thus reduce local property values. That's where the zoning laws are coming from.

Particularly in this day & age where the housing market is down the toilet, no one wants their property value to be downsized because of their neighbors' abandoned-looking property.

Kudos to you for cleaning things up, but don't bash the messenger.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"My body is a temple - unfortunately, it's a fixer-upper."

"And no, I'm NOT being snarky."

Zone 7a, Culpeper, Virginia

Like (0 likes)
quote:
Originally posted by BreezyGardener:
In your situation, the violations may be overkill (but really, 10 complaints??), but solid weeds - even if under 12" tall - can definitely be a sign of shoddy care &/or abandonment & thus reduce local property values. That's where the zoning laws are coming from.

Particularly in this day & age where the housing market is down the toilet, no one wants their property value to be downsized because of their neighbors' abandoned-looking property.

Kudos to you for cleaning things up, but don't bash the messenger.

not bashing the messenger really...seems odd that I express my concern to the insurance people that my step dad and mom are attempting to defraud the insurance, then immediately after they see they're attorny/lawyer, I start getting code enforcement warnings..

not trying to come off as mean, or hateful, but it just seems odd.. The call history on my gramparents cordless phone showed 2 calls to code enforcement. I know my gramparents wouldn't call, and that leaves my parents haha..

I did get the other shed painted..started the roof, but I have to find a way to rig a roller on an extension..no money to buy one, so gotta work with what I got Cool

I did get a missed call on my phone, but no minutes to call it back..tried from my grandparents and it went straight to voicemail..gonna call it in the morning, see who it is..I'm hoping its the officer. When this was happening with my grandparents, the officer called the LAST time and we confirmed the yard was clean over the phone..hopefully its the same officer, as the phone number looks suspiciously familiar

Photos (1)

Like (0 likes)
well...found out who did the reporting. I thought I had another week or so, but I ended up helping a friend pack a house in long beach (LIGHT stuff only hahaha..blankets and linens Big Grin ). I came home early (was supposed to be saturday to saturday) and found this in the back back yard, the yard I JUST got done cleaning/hulahoing..that came from my old house/grampas house...thats the window to my 63 dodge, the rear bumper to my 72 dodge, and an intake for my grampas old 70 dodge...there were also some misc. pullies and stuff on the OTHER side of the yard, but not going to bore you guys with pics...My mothers husband admitted to throwing the stuff over, because since I moved out, my stuff (that my grampa let me keep there) needed to go to, since when I kicked them out, I told them to take their stuff ALL of their stuff...Hopefully they leave to stay with HIS mom far far far away from here, but I DO pray for their safe travel and well being Cool

ok, sorry about the life story, it just feels good to vent to people, instead of letting it GROW Cool

Photos (1)

Like (0 likes)
Sorry you are having family troubles but hopefully they will be over soon and you can concentrate on your garden. It's very healing.

Zone 7b  Southeastern PA

Like (0 likes)
on the bright side, think of it this way:

it was something you intended to accomplish anyway, and now it's done! (g)

Like (0 likes)
ok, so the code enforcement officer JUST left...he took one look from my front yard to my back yard, I showed him some before pics, and he said not to worry Big Grin he did give me grief over the tires that were used as planters, since I have them piled up in a corner....I told him they were going on craigslist for free, AND he even told me that it looked like I had been cleaning up the property one barrel at a time...that when I get a chance to just get rid of the tires one at a time in the blue bin if noone claims them on craigslist...He said the yard was a MAJOR improvement over the time since he saw it last from the neighbors house a little over a month ago...

so I'm doing a happy dance now, since he told me that if they got any more calls regarding the weeds, they WILL be ignored, but to clean the yuccas, remove the tires, and cover the 63 dodge, since those were the only things anyone could possibly complain about, IF they really wanted to be a pain...

but since my mother, and her husband moved, I have a feeling that I wont be hearing from code enforcement again Big Grin

Like (0 likes)
Good news, now you can concentrate on gardening.

Zone 7b  Southeastern PA

Like (0 likes)
Great news....Well done..

Live, Love & Garden, veggie gal

Coastal Newport Beach, CA, Zone 10b

Like (0 likes)
Good thing that you took before pictures..they do come in handy Smiler

Like (0 likes)
The fire inspector told me my compost pile couldn't be adjacent to the garage because it might overheat and cause spontaneous combustion. (More likely the fresh brown stuff would be dry and catch a spark.) I didn't fight city hall on that. It is now 30 feet away.

Like (0 likes)
mtshasta-I have a great respect for Fire Marshalls, where ever they are. Smiler They know about things that I for one don't generally have a clue about. Like soiled rags can spontaneously combust. You only need to wipe up something unknowingly flammable on one of those rags--once.
Or, the greece on the waxed in paper pizza box can combust over time just from the heat of your lawnmower parked in your garage. (A friend's home burnt down in the middle of the night--smoke detectors alerted the family and they were safe--but the culprit was the lawn mower that they had used in the afternoon and the pizza box from dinner that slid on top of it.) Spontaneous combustion is a scary thing.

Like (0 likes)
Well, the pizza box thing isn't "spontaneous combustion". Nor are the soiled rags.

"Spontaneous Combustion" is when something explodes or begins to burn due to it's own internal heat. A pizza box falling on top of a hot lawnmower is simply a regular fire hazard. And flammable soiled rags aren't going to "spontaneously combust" either. They have to be ignited or somehow exposed to extreme heat. They won't produce their own heat. Completely different situations.

"My body is a temple - unfortunately, it's a fixer-upper."

"And no, I'm NOT being snarky."

Zone 7a, Culpeper, Virginia

Like (0 likes)

Like (0 likes)
The lawnmower was used in the afternoon and the fire occurred after midnight..so there was enough "heat" left on a cool to the touch lawnmower to start the oxidation with veg oil on waxed paper and cardboard. It's called spontaneous combustion, wiki supplied a link. You may find it hard to believe just like the homeowners.

Like (0 likes)
I think there is something specific to linseed oil that can cause spontaneous combustion. Apparently as the oil drys there is an exothermic reaction and if enough of it is contained in a small enough space without ventilation then there is potential for it to ignite.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L...ontaneous_combustion

Inland Southern California USDA 9b, Sunset 19

Like (0 likes)
The linseed/flaxseed oil spontaneous combustion is well known. The veg oil, compost, rag storage
not so much.. Rags from commercial kitchen clean up are stored in metal lidded containers with water..because fire does happen.

Like (0 likes)
Determined, maybe a really tall hedge on that back wall, or some nice evergreen trees as a screen so those houses can't keep an eye on you. There are good drought tolerant trees, that once established, will be fine on their own. You deserve privacy, and we can't be expected to be automatons keeping our yards perfect every second.

I have bottlebrush trees that have beautiful red bottlebrush flowers, and great for the bees, and drops lots of leaves for composting. Some trees fix nitrogen around their roots and improve the soil and make great informal screens.

I love this nursery and they have a great website:

http://www.laspilitas.com/easy...design_Dry_Clay.html

Check out their designs and info on natives.

Smiler

============= Love your soil.....feed your worms... (Used to be Sweetpea, contributing here since 2002)
Like (0 likes)
Just ran across other folks getting cited for some pretty silly things:

http://thegerminatrix.com/2011...an-they-can-bite-me/

============= Love your soil.....feed your worms... (Used to be Sweetpea, contributing here since 2002)
Like (0 likes)
quote:
Originally posted by BiodiversityGal:
Just ran across other folks getting cited for some pretty silly things:

http://thegerminatrix.com/2011...an-they-can-bite-me/

WOW Mad

I'm not going to complain then Big Grin

I just won my unemployment claim, 9 months in the fighting, so I'll be getting a measly check...gonna use some of it to extend the fence 10ft back, 8ft tall WOOD fencing, then thinking italian cypress across the length in the front (on my side of the fence) and leave maybe a foot or more behind (by the drainage ditch) for some cactus....gonna leave the short fence there an see about moving the 2 sheds between the small fence/wood fence, with each shed on opposite sides of the yard, pointing each other...then have my compost bin in the middle... JUST A THOUGHT though

funny story...my back yard IS MY FRONT YARD lol...when my house was put here, they put it so the livingroom window pointed out over the valley (I sit slightly higher that the surrounding area) was a BEAUTIFUL view until they built the houses behind me Mad

now that I have a slightly higherish income, I can get more done..didn't water the raddishes I planted because a pipe burst and I couldn't get water out there..I watered by hand the best I could, but when I helped my friend move I was only here long enough to feed my animals (dog/cat) and leave again Frowner

And YES I have seen oily rags "spontaneously combust" but I'm positive it was because a buddy threw a rag that had been sitting atop a running engine into the pile..he won't admit it though lol

Like (0 likes)
Code Enforcement sent me a letter to clean up my weeds once. The weeds in question were a few oxalis that had bloomed before I had a chance to pull them. It's not unusual for that to happen when it rains in late winter or early spring and you can't go outside to work in the yard. Roll Eyes

--J--

You should always have a plant B.
Like (0 likes)

OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image