Forums
Search

Mural painting

Hi folks,

Our storage container at the community gardens is in need of painting and before going monochrome, generic beige I was thinking a mural might be more attractive. Having said that, I haven't got a clue what is involved or where to start. (Ladies please note, admitting I'm clueless makes me one of the most honest men in the world ) The shed is a used steel inter modal shipping container. My thoughts were twofold: one, make an attractive statement or two, blend it into the landscape. Did a brief internet search for templates and found a few concepts. One idea is to show the 30 year history or some of the characters of the gardens. Another was to try and paint the natural background. Anyone with ideas, concepts or experience with murals or transferring smaller images to a larger "canvas" please chime in.

Mahalo

Lat 33

Coastal Southern CA, USDA 10, Sunset 22

"Nothing is as optimistic as a seed catalog." Charles Mann

Hiya Lat...

...Maybe something natural as in a leafy and/or flowering vine...

...I did that to my porch ceiling once...looked really cool...
...I attached a heavy pencil to a long stick, and from the floor drew my rough pattern idea, then got up on a ladder and did the Michelangelo thing...it was fun.

...If freehand is not your thing...you can always enlarge things by a grid method...start with pattern on small square grid...make larger grid the size you want and copy drawing from small squares to larger squares...takes some time but do-able...

...I found this...
...Here's a link to what I'm referring...

http://www.art-is-fun.com/grid-method.html

Cool

~~~{as an afterthought}...you could also use stencils...beaucoup stencil patterns available...

~~~~ I garden ♥ therefore I am. ~~~~

~~~~ Zone 7a  Southeastern PA ~~~~ Member since 2002 ~~~~

Like (0 likes)
I painted an entire bathroom with tropical fish and sea plants even had bubbles. I just went for it. I have no experience or any talent at this. I had just come home from Hawaii and I was inspired to try it. Deciding what you want might just be the hardest part. I got some books from the library and even though it was far from perfect when it was finished I alway's loved it. I had a ball doing it. Please post pictures when you start and again when your finished. Good luck and enjoy the project.
Mavis

[hr]I've discovered that duct tape is like the FORCE, it has a light side a dark side and it holds the universe together.
Like (0 likes)
I've done a few. Since yours will be exposed to the weather the most important part of the work is to properly prepare the surface to receive the paint.
Do you have any contacts with the local Art or Craft guild? Local art school? You just might get a lot of good advice there on preparation and materials. You might even get some volunteer labor! Wink That's where I would start.
All the above are good suggestions. I've used projectors to enlarge drawings for murals in additions to the methods mentioned previously.
At one place we painted an entire storage building to look like a log structure because a metal building just stuck out like a sore thumb. The local art students donated a lot of time on that one.
I've learned that if you make the materials available, persons with talent will show up. Cool
A really neat idea!

“We’re gypsies in the palace, he’s left us here alone The order of sleepless knights will now assume the throne.”

western Kentucky, the land between the rivers

Like (0 likes)
Granny Kate

Thank you, great advice. Personally I wouldn't mind a whole parrot-head theme but ultimately the design proposal will have to get full committee approval.

Like (0 likes)
Hey. I paint Murals,signs and store front windows for a living. Just finished a building front last month and Hoppy Easter stuff on glass today.So, if I can help just let me know. The projector is a very good idea. Just make sure it CAN NOT wiggle. Paint what you like. Get ya a cup of coffee and just go set and look at it and think. When you have settled on something, get a pic. Since this is your first project, find something that's not super detailed.Say you decide to paint a parrot. google parrot clip art. You can find pretty good stuff this way. I get alot of ideas from cards. You can find really simple but cool designs on greeting cards. A sharpie marker would be good if you project, to trace the image. If you move the projector it can cause you some grief. Let us know how it goes.I'd love to see pics.

Like (0 likes)
Bumping this back up after a year already. A belated thank you to ahntjudy for the grid method link.

Okay, as of mid January I am now officially on the board as the historian/photographer for our community gardens. The fact I am standing on the shoulder of the giants that came first I would really like to find a way to show respect to those who put in many years and have now passed on. Any ideas of how I can transfer images from photos to the shed? Am I better off posting pics of our heavenly gardeners on the bulletin boards and going with a scenic theme?

Like (0 likes)
Can you make a negative out of the photo? Kinda go backwards? Use a projector?
Or enlarge a photo, then use the transparency to trace?
I have found that the high schools are full of talented young adults. Ask the teacher to challenge her/his class and come ups with ideas.
Please make sure that you post those pictures!

Like (0 likes)
Latitude33,

To your inquiry for "ideas of how I can transfer images from photos to the shed?", may I suggest having the various images printed on transparencies, which are what is used on over-head projectors? Anyone fluent in Photoshop can scan them and apply various filters resulting in a more simplified image for projection and reproduction. Having less details while maintaining recognition makes the job more manageable.

For example, this:

Can become
either this:

Or this:

These are only a couple of many more options.

Mary

~ Mary ~ ddogtalk at hotmail dot com There's nothing to like or dislike in another that isn't a reflection of yourself.
Like (0 likes)
Originally Posted by littelfrog:
I painted an entire bathroom with tropical fish and sea plants even had bubbles.
Mavis

It is nice idea of painting with sea plants. It gives amazing view in bathroom. 

Like (0 likes)

OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image