Forums
Search

squash flowers not opening...

I posted something about my squash few days ago...they were shriveling up becuz they weren't getting pollinated. I am pretty sure that the flowers arent opening up to get pollinated...what would cause this?
I should add that we have had hot/humid weather the last several weeks with very little rain...however, over the last week we have gotten rain almost everyday, ad alot--but this was happening before the rain. Also, my squash is grown in containers.

Kim ROLL TIDE!!
Hi yankee,

Do they never open and just fall off? I have the same thing happening to a hibicus . I know it's just a flower and not a vegatable but anyway. I was watering and the unopened flowers would fall off, then I gave it less water and the flowers never opened and fell off. It is in a pot also. I wonder if we are stressing the plants out so much with rain, water, no rain ,water. You know what I mean?

Stress one way or another will cause blossem drop. We need to find a happy medium. In pots you would think this would be easy to achieve, but till we get home from work and water, maybe the stress has already been there, done that.

Some one will have a good solution.

lisaann

MARYLAND zone 6
Like (0 likes)
Squash flowers open in the morning and close in the afternoon. What time of day do you look at them?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Gardening at 5000 ft. elevation in Northern Utah  Zone 5

Have a great gardening day!

http://donce.lofthouse.com/jam...lanting/planting.htm

Like (0 likes)
James,
Usually first thing in the morning...sometime around 0630 or 0700 before my son gets up. I have noticed one or two that opened up early in the morning...the male flowers seem to stay open much longer.

Lisaann: The male flowers pop off, but I noticed that the female flowers will just wither and die off.. someone told me in an earlier post that the male flowers will do that--pop off. Earlier in the month I was worried about that too, thinking something was trying to eat the flowers, like birds or something. But someone told me it was normal, so I relaxed.

My DH is convinced that the high temps and humidity are causing the lack of production...NONE of my cucumbers have set fruit...and I must have over 100 blossoms. I think I have the happiest cukes alive...they have grown up and over the 8-9 foot trellis and are coming down the other side without a single cuke!
oh well..

Kim ROLL TIDE!!
Like (0 likes)
Hi Yankee-

I wish I could come over there to see what is going on and give your squashes a good talking to. Their ancestors are from all over the western hemisphere, including far south of where you are, so I would think hot temps, while maybe stressful, shouldn't put them out of commission. They developed those large leaves in response to the heat. The ones I grew in Arizona did fine as long as I watered them. Do you have a friend there who has raised squash for a while that might be able to come over to look at them and give an opinion? I never had a problem with them not blooming by this time of year.

Ria

Gardening with the Gods in Colorado
Like (0 likes)
Goodmorning,
I went out this morning at 0645 and found one of the female flowers was opened Smiler and a second later I saw a couple bees go in and out of it--so hopefully it will produce a squash. So far I only have one squash on the plant that made it...the other 6 or 7 have withered and died....I have 3 others that I am still unsure about at the moment. I also found 1 cuke on my plant. I probably have a 100 flowers and today found a cuke that is skinny like a pencil, but about 2 inches long. Big Grin These plants were planted late as I found them all alone on a shelf at wal-mart late in the planting season--over growing their little peat pot--so I brought them home to give them a chance on my deck. They are big beautiful plants--but just not producing--oh well, I've enjoyed them still. We'll just see what happens..

Kim ROLL TIDE!!
Like (0 likes)

OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image