Forums
Search

How do I harvest Black-Eyed-Susan Seed's?

My son went and collected me three bags of dried-up Black-Eyed-Susan flower heads. I need to know if the seed's are on the inner dome of the flower head, or it also looks like their is seeds below the center dome of the flower. I have never collected the seeds from the Black-Eyed-Susan's before and need advice from a Pro. Any help would be wonderful!!
Signed Mr. Bradley Hall.[b][/b]

I usually put the dried sead heads into a small brown paper bag (lunch-sized) and let them dry out for several weeks.

By then the seeds will have dropped off to the bottom. Stubborn seeds can be teased off the cones by putting them between 2 sheets of wax paper and applying gently rolling pressure with a rolling pin.

The seeds are about 1/16-1/8th in length, 3/4s black with a touch of brown at one end.

To plant, scatter seeds into already mulched soil and don't cover. Or scatter onto bare soil and lightly cover with compost (1/8")

Or you can you do the lazy gardener method-- plant the entire cone. You'll end up with very natural "clumps" of black-eyed susan.

Ot even better-- leave the cones of the plants. The seeds will drop off over the course of late summer and fall and germinate naturally. Cut back the dried stalks some lovely cold day in December when you want to get your hands back in the garden Smiler

Sy

Sy

Like (0 likes)
Mr. Bradley Hall,

I just copied this post from the other thread where you asked this question. Just wanted to make sure you didn't miss my advice! Big Grin

:8} :x Thank you very much for your service to our great country. My oldest son, 20 years of age, is an active Marine. It's always comforting to "run-into" another military service person. Thanks.

First of all, the seeds are in the black-eye of the Susan flower. To be more specific, the center ball of the flower is packed with tiny black seeds. When the flower has completely dried, if you rub the center ball and nothing flings or falls off, then they are already gone, or have already fallen off. It helps to do this over a large container or inside a bag to catch them all, or do it right over the area which you want to plant.

You should also know, here in Minnesota, Black Eyed Susan's are considered bi-ennials (sp), which means they don't bloom till the second season of growth. I'm really not sure of the differences in our weather, so this may not be the same for you.

I myself am just starting flower beds in a new location, and wish I could be of more help, as in offering some bulbs or starters, but mine haven't really developed. Next year will be the first year to see if my work will be a success. Good luck and let us know how things are going in more posts down the road.

BG

Like (0 likes)
Sycers, Thank you for the advice. I have had lots of help about the black-eyed-susan seeds, and since then have filled a sandwitch bag! Do you know if the plant that flowers this year, also flowers the next and so on, and so on, or are the plants finished after they bloom?
How many years worth of flowering can I exp to get from each Black-Eyed-Susan plant? Thank You! Brad Hall.
P.S. Sycers If you have any extra flower seeds other than Black-Eyed-Susan's for zone five, can send me please let me know? hallname@adelphia.net THANK YOU!!!

Like (0 likes)
BG Thanks, I'm still learning to use the internet, and sometimes I forget how to get back to somthings and get lost. Good luck with your garden!!! Brad Hall.

Like (0 likes)

OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image