Forums
Search

Will deer eat tomato plants before fruiting?

I am expanding my garden. My main garden is fenced and not an issue. I don't have time to build a fence right now around my new expansion for a month or so.

If I pant tomatoes or string beans will deer eat the plants before they produce fruit?

What other crops are deer safe before producing their crop?

They will eat the entire plant on a string bean and lick their chops. They are less drawn to tomatoes, but will taste just about anything at least once. Beans are a favorite.

Maggie (from experience)

Like (0 likes)
When the rest of their world is brown, they will eat anything green. As the world greens up and they get fatter, they get pickier.

[i]Mulch where you can Till if you have to Weed when you must It's all part of the plan[/i].
Like (0 likes)
It depends on what else is out there to eat and how easy that otehr stuff is to get. Deer are browsers and sample potential food where ever the roam and it they find easy pickings in your garden they will eat there. But if there are trellis' strung that might make escape difficult they may well leave those plants alone.

The sign of a good gardener is not a green thumb, it is brown knees.

West central Michigan along the lakeshore.

Like (0 likes)
For the most part, the deer in my 'neck of the woods' don't bother tomato plants' leaves. The fruit? Yes. But depending on how dry the season, or how sparse the deer's normal grazing food may be, they will nibble on anything green to get some nutrients and moisture. So, IOW....it all depends. Frowner

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ [i]"To Live Is Not Just To Survive, But To Thrive With Passion, Compassion, Humor & Style."[/i] ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ My Blogs: [URL=http://www.lindafrank.blogspot.com] GardenzOwn [/URL] [URL=http://www.OurGardenEarth.blogspot.com]OurGardenEarth[/URL]
Like (0 likes)
On a more optimistic note - you all know my dogs live in the same fenced yard as my veggies (though they sleep inside at night). This does help with the amount of damage the deer do. I grow only pole varieties of beans and the deer will munch the long runners that hang over the fence, but the beans always recover and go on to be productive. In fact, except for pulling a few transplants out, I have never had deer actually kill anything, even in the front flower beds. I've had them take the blossoms off and diminish the beauty, but nothing has died. The biggest damage has been to lilacs and roses and tender branches on young fruit trees. They've never really done much harm to anything else.

Maggie

Like (0 likes)
The deer out west where I live love tomatoes, both the greens and the fruit, so I always have to put up a little fence around them. I never make the enclosure more than 3' by 8' and 4' tall and that is small enough to keep the deer out. They won't jump into any area where they think they might get trapped.

Some times the deer will reach over the 4' fence and nibble the tops of the tomato plants a bit but they can't get to the main plant or the tomato fruit.

We don't grow any string beans so I can't say what our deer think of them.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ LAUS DEO, Where ever I go, there I am. ..... major at nwi dot net ..... Zone 6a, Eastern Washington, sagebrush high desert, Columbia plateau.
Like (0 likes)
In my garden, they love tomato plants, and will eat them before they eat anything else. After years of trying every trick possible, I just put up a very tall electric fence, hung old CDs on the wire, and now no deer bother them. Groundhogs and gophers, different story. Got to come up with a different plan.

Like (0 likes)

OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image