Forums
Search

ants

we have ants galore, and they are the small ones, not the big red fire ants. I have never seen any ant killer that does not specifically say "Fire Ant Killer" on the label. Is it only for fire ants, or does it kill the small ones, too? I found a "natural" ant killer from a company called Bethurum, but it also says for fire ants. Want to wage war on these ants and need some guidance.

Well one option that you have is to try a boron sugar spray. anouther sounds kinda silly but get your self one of those sticky mouse pads (FOR REAL MOUSES) not for your mouse for your computer. but put that in there path and put a somthing on the pad to attract them to the pad they stick and stay. But what you really need to do is find out how they are getting in your home and plug the hole. this might just cause them to find anouther way in or not.
I hope this helped and good luck
mel

Like (0 likes)
I am back one other thing if you do not want to plug the leak once you have located the place that they are comming in crush some red and black pepper very very fine and sprinkle that around where they are. This also help out in the garden on ants as well as other insects

Like (0 likes)
the yard i live in has ALWAYS had ants. at least since 1961 when we moved in! i've cut them back significantly w/ a syrup made of boric acid & white sugar. i pour it accross the trails & they go for it instead of passing it up. they take it home & feed it to their babies. works great!
i don't know that i'd want to get rid of them totally. before the little balck ants (argentine) filled the yard it was full of the red biting ants. lots of people i know have noticed that the red ants that we were so afraid of as kids are practily gone, replaced by the little black ants. they might keep fireants at bay. rather have black ants (even in the house) than red ants anywhere.

Planning to be a Cancer survivor!!! No trees were killed or animals harmed in the sending of this message; however a great many electrons were horribly inconvenienced.
Like (0 likes)
Mix Dr. Bonner's OG castile *peppermint* soap with water and a half teaspoonful of essential peppermint oil in a sprayer bottle. Spray the indoor ant trails and outdoor entry points with this mixture without wiping it away. Let it alone to dry and stay in place. Indoors, wipe it away with a clean wet rag about a week later. Outdoors, leave it and replenish it from time to time, particularly in rainy seasons. It works for little black garden ants that come into the house. It won't work on the big carpenter/wood ants, that I know of. I don't know how fire ants or true termites feel about it.

Mari, in the Willamette Valley, OR, USA, z.8b

Like (0 likes)
Except for the Fire Ants, all other ants are a big part of Ma Natures recycling machine and should not be killed off unless they are invading our homes. Since organic gardening is not just a way to grow stuff but is a life philosophy, killing things just because should not be a prat of that.

Like (0 likes)
Diatomatious earth works for me.

Peace

Like (0 likes)
To piggyback on what KimmSr says, ants are natural and sometimes necessary companions to certain plants/flowers (I want to say peonies or dahlias or zinnias, for example, but I forget. They can be attracted to a sticky-sweet coating on the buds, which doesn't hurt the buds at all, and the ants keep harmful bugs away). Anyway, first try to find out whether there are certain plants in your garden that are attracting and keeping them there, because if you don't remove those plants the bugs will find them again.

I hear ants prefer drier soil, and won't thrive in moist areas, so check if you are watering enough. If you up the water, you may be able to get them to move on to a more hospitable area. I find that I can get the ants to concentrate in one dry and sunny area of my front yard where they are happy, and where they don't bother me, and this means other areas of the garden where I do spend time are pretty much ant-free. There are still a few times of year when you just can't avoid them, but that's part of that cycle of nature that can't be controlled.

Like (0 likes)
I agree with Pease, D.E. works great. I don't have fire ants here in Ohio, but I waged an all-out war on 5 species of ants on my property last year.

We had a sever carpenter ant in the house problem which I had to call Orkin for. I had 5 colonies of ants, all of seperate species, and every one of them trying to get in my house! So, Orkin put up a sticky boric acid bait that stayed on the eaves until eaten by said offending ants. The REST of the offenders I took out with D.E., liquid boric acid bait in special traps, and some stuff called OrangeGuard sold by Gardeners Supply. THe OrangeGuard killed my grass where applied, but it took out the colony in about a week.

GIve these things a try. They just might solve your problem.

Give three fold what you take.
Like (0 likes)
Peppermint oil will not kill ants, but they do not like it and will avoid it. Essential citrus oils are also something they avoid. There are things that use citrus compounds as a part of their formulation that will kill the ants. I live in the land of rain & that amount of moisture is not enough to discourage ants at all -- now maybe a moat would do the trick!.......lol

Mari, in the Willamette Valley, OR, USA, z.8b

Like (0 likes)
Ants do not belong in our homes but if you did have carpenter ants that is an indication that you have a potential structural problem looming and that needed to be fixed and then the carpenter ants would have left. Simply getting rid of the symptom is not a solution and the ants in the house are a symptom, not the problem.

Like (0 likes)
If they're outside, I'd let them be. They're not doing any harm and only contributing their part in nature's cycle. If they're on your plants, then they're probably "harvesting" aphids. In which case, the aphids are a much bigger problem. But, I'm guessing it's not ants on your plants ( Smiler ) that are the problem.

Inside the house is another story. I've used the boric acid bait and most recently tried something that's been suggested many times right here on OG forums: Equal. Yep, packets of Equal sugar substitute. I get the cheaper store-brand of aspartame (which is what Equal is). Once the ants ingest it, it'll do them in.

Makes you wonder what it does to the human digestive system, doesn't it? :O Which is why we don't use it in my house... except for the ants, that is. Smiler

gardenz

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ [i]"To Live Is Not Just To Survive, But To Thrive With Passion, Compassion, Humor & Style."[/i] ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ My Blogs: [URL=http://www.lindafrank.blogspot.com] GardenzOwn [/URL] [URL=http://www.OurGardenEarth.blogspot.com]OurGardenEarth[/URL]
Like (0 likes)

OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image