Forums
Search

Advise: Bees digging holes in dirt (pictures)

I am seeking your assistance. In New Jersey we have a dirt/grass area where bees have dug holes (hills) in the dirt, similar to an an ant hill and it seems to be active since I have spotted them flying in/out and around. So far I identified nearly a couple dozen hills. Are you able to identify the type of bee and how do I effective treat the area and get rid of them since this location needs to be free and clear. I have posted images for reference. The images may not be the best quality. Thanks for your help.

Miner Bees.

http://www.uri.edu/ce/factsheets/sheets/miningbees.html

Very low risk of stings, short season, very beneficial insect. If it was me I'd enjoy watching them for a few weeks till they're no long active.

Probably could destroy the nest area by going out after dark, blasting it with a garden hose (maybe even run some dish soap through a Miracle Gro type sprayer to coat the bees so they can't fly), mix the mud up with hoe, then mulch it heavily, or plant a thick patch of grass, to discourage new bees from building new nests.

If you go conventional, some Sevin dust around/in the holes should be picked up by the bees. Dust is probably more effective here, since sprays/liquids would get absorbed right away by the soil.

Like (0 likes)
If these are Miner Bees there is no reason to kill them, especially since we ned all the pollinators we can get to produce the food we need to eat. Just leave them alone and they will not bother you or anyone else.

The sign of a good gardener is not a green thumb, it is brown knees.

West central Michigan along the lakeshore.

Like (0 likes)
I have the same bees and they will get a little stingy - a few foot stings from walking too close to the holes barefoot (when i thought they were ant holes)- if you encroach too much into their happy zone. I moved them to another part of the yard by putting partially burned (not hot or smoking!) hay/straw over the area (50+ holes in a 20 x 20 area) - within a day or two those nests were vacated and a new series of holes has popped up a couple hundred feet away (closer to where I need the polinators anyway so a double good thing). They are only active for part of the spring/summer though so you can also just deal with it until they calm down.

Zone 5, southern NH - "Trying to make the Earth say beans instead of grass" - Henry David Thoreau
Like (0 likes)
It works to just mark off the area and let them "bee" Smiler They are sooooo good for the environment, and now that you know where they are you won't have any surprises. Don't let a hose drag over it, or run a mower too close. They won't be there much past September.

---------------------- Life goes on within you and without you - George Harrison
Like (0 likes)

OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image