Forums
Search

Yellow Crookneck Squash

First time I planted this summer squash. It is very hard on the outside and bright yellow. It is not getting any bigger. How do I tell when is the correct time to pick???

Yellow Crookneck is really a summer squash, & should be harvested long before the skin gets "very hard". The skin shouldn't be any harder than Zucchini. They're best enjoyed harvested no longer than the 6"-7" stage.

If yours are that size but have developed hard skins, I'd look towards culture. Have they had consistent watering? Because many, if not all, summer squashes have the ability to develop hard tough skins & literally turn into gourds without enough moisture.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"My body is a temple - unfortunately, it's a fixer-upper."

"And no, I'm NOT being snarky."

Zone 7a, Culpeper, Virginia

Like (0 likes)
My yellow squash turned hard during our prolonged heat waves and I removed those and composted. I cut one open and saw that the seeds were also turning hard and brown. New ones grew after this with nice tender skins.

Zone 7b  Southeastern PA

Like (0 likes)
Well the outside was hard, but the inside cooked up nice and soft on the BBQ. A Co-worker BBQ'd one that her mother grew and the outside was also soft. I'm guessing I left it on too long and also that it didn't get enough water.

Like (0 likes)
Yellow crookneck squash is best when it is from 5 to 6 inches long and still very trender. Pick them smaller and you will love them. I like them in a stirfry with an onion.

Keep them picked and the plant will usually continue to bloom and produce.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Gardening at 5000 ft. elevation in Northern Utah  Zone 5

Have a great gardening day!

http://donce.lofthouse.com/jam...lanting/planting.htm

Like (0 likes)
I'm with James & BreezyG on this. Smaller is better.

The year my wife & I were married I prided myself with growing the biggest zuccini & yellow crook-neck squash around. We delivered them to our neighbors with smiles on our faces and pride in our hearts. These things were pushing 24 inches.

We must have had the kindest neighbors. They never said a word and must have quietly put them in the garbage.

Yep - 5-6 inches is good.

Bill

Like (0 likes)

OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image