Forums
Search

Yews turning brown

To the best of my knowledge yews and most other evergreen like acidic soil, and so I fertilize accoringly (eg.with bone meal).
My quetsion then is should one nevertheless apply lime to yews which are looking a little brown. This is what a nurseryman suggested to me. He had them burlapped overwinter and had applied generous amounts of lime over the bags to "green them up".
Thanks
Tony

Well, I'm guessing that you just bought these? I'd check for "Bagworms." And do a search via Search Engine like Google for "Yew" and "Bagworm" to educate oneself. I don't recommend anymore lime until you know more. Yes, lime will green up grasses, but its not a cure-all for everygreens. Good luck. It might be something as simple as a new transplant that needs a thorough watering until the roots are established and it can tolerate wind (moisture loss), etc.

Like (0 likes)
Janis,
Actually I put them in last spring, about 40 of them, and they did quite well. I only lost one.
They look OK now but some are a little less dark green than others and I want them to take off this year. So maybe I should lime them all, and then add compost.
Thanks Tony

Like (0 likes)

OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image