Forums
Search

Broccoli going to seed?

I planted some broccoli plants, half of which have started to go to seed already! any idea why? the weather here has been normal for spring. I have only grown broccoli one other time and this didn't happen--

Hi,jriosTX,

Did they produce any heads at all? Just went to seed right off the bat?

Broccoli will go to seed (and/or die) if you haven't maintained a foliar feeding routine; have a nutrient poor soil; OR mostly if you haven't been consistently harvesting it, so that it's allowed to produce more side shoots. Otherwise the plant will flower and produce seed instead, and production of more shoots will cease.

Then, again..sometimes it's just one of those inexplicable gardening flukes!Frowner In which case, it's little comfort, I know...but try again next season. Or in the fall.

gardenz

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ [i]"To Live Is Not Just To Survive, But To Thrive With Passion, Compassion, Humor & Style."[/i] ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ My Blogs: [URL=http://www.lindafrank.blogspot.com] GardenzOwn [/URL] [URL=http://www.OurGardenEarth.blogspot.com]OurGardenEarth[/URL]
Like (0 likes)
I'm not a broccoli gal, but can't you simply cut off the seed spike, like with a rhubarb plant?

Like (0 likes)
Some of mine are doing the same. I bought the plants, put them in the ground and instant tiny head, opening up already. I have used foliar spray on them.

I'm going to cut of the center peice like suggested and hope for some side shoots. I've grown broccoli for 12 years and never had this happen. We've had a fairly normal spring so I think the poor babies weren't treated right in their infancy.

Making a splash on the Kings River in Northwest Arkansas. Zone 6a
Like (0 likes)
I had this same problem! Some types of broccoli are more prone to this happening than others. What type did you get? mine was packman. Check out the thread if you can find it.Smiler
gigi

Like (0 likes)
I can't discredit the suggestions about proper nutrients but I've discovered that the duration of daily light can effect broccoli seedlings going to seed. Did you start these under lights? How long were they on per day? Did the amount of daily light ever drastically increase or decrease from day to day? I'm convinced that the amount of daily light plays a part here, I just haven't yet discovered all the details. One thing to try (and it never has failed me) is to start broccoli where it is cool and somewhere where they will get natural light...12-13 hours a day and gradually increases by the day. Hope this helps.

Like (0 likes)

OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image