Forums
Search

Chigger Remedies?

Yes, the dreaded chiggers attacked me yesterday afternoon. I have about 25 bites around my waistband--which is getting increasingly larger because I'm pregnant. Does anyone know of any natural treatments I can use to relieve the itching? I have to stay away from cortisone because of the baby. Thanks!!

Aloe vera gel helps with any itching insect bites. If you live where it snows, you can grow aloe as a potted plant indoors. I just go outside and cut some off. You peel part of the leaf and apply the green sap.

What are chiggers?

Like (0 likes)
Broad leaf Plantain will also help.It is a natural antihistanine. Make a very strong tea and bathe the spots with it as often as possible.
You can also smash the leaves up a bit and put them on the bites and leave them all day. Held on with bandaids. I know this is hard with as many as you have , but is the best way. I do this with a lot of insect bites and stings. Works wonders.

I have also used nail polish. It's supposed to smother them. But you have to keep applying it.

Like (0 likes)
Thanks for the suggestions! Chiggers are mites that live in grass and feed on humans and animals in the larval stage. Their bites are very itchy and red and last for much too long!

Like (0 likes)
Daddy, who grew up in NC, always said that applied Listerine was a good soother for chigger bites.

Is Listerine a 'natural' cure?...I don't know. Wink

But he said it works! Smiler

Like (0 likes)
It's amazing how many insects we don't have here. But then most of you don't have earthquakes!

Like (0 likes)
Hi - sorry to hear of your misery - I've had chiggers on my ankle & wrists, but I can only imagine chiggers on a pregnant belly Frowner

I can't recall where I read this advice(might've been in OG mag?), but it worked for me - use a stiff-bristled brush (like a nailbrush) to scrub the area w/ some castile soap.You may ned to do this several times.The larvae burrow under the skin for several days, which is why the itching is so excruciating - scrubbing hard can help to dislodge & kill them.

After scrubbing, I used straight tea tree essential oil on the spots - it's antiseptic & cooling.Good ole calamine lotion works pretty well for the itching as well - IMPE.

Vitamin E oil will help w/ healing, after the buggers are eliminated.

Like (0 likes)
Thanks again for the advice--I believe the peak of itchiness has passed. I've kept them scrubbed with soap and used aloe. I put the plantain leaves on some of the more bothersome ones and that seemed to help. Dang things--I'm taking a shower almost every time I come in from long periods outside--it's a little OCD, but what the heck. The green beans are worth it--I think?! Big Grin

Like (0 likes)

OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image