Forums
Search

Worm Die-off

Does anyone know why some mornings there is a huge litter (several dozens) of dead worms in my driveway? :-( It hasn't rained, and I haven't used the sprinkler. I would like to prevent such tragedies since my yard can use all the help it can get...

I don't know the answer, but I'm curious too. This will bring it back to the top of the list.

Do you know what type of worms they are? Are they regular earthworms or are they manure worms? I know, some are saying "what's the difference and who cares?".
But, since I started vermicomposting, I have done a lot of reading on vermiculture.

Also, in what region do you live? what's the climate?
Are there chems in the soil? Are they coming from the neighbor's yard to yours and drying up on the driveway?
lot's of questions, I know! Smiler

Like (0 likes)
I think these are the regular earthworms, not the wriggly red ones. They've just been in the soil, which does not have much organic matter here in the South Caroline Piedmont (Zone 7b). It is possible that my uphill neighbor has doused his lawn, but I haven't seen him out weeding or fertilizing recently, so I'm not sure. I haven't ever put herbicides in the grass, and it has been several months since I fertilized.

Like (0 likes)

OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image