Forums
Search

Mother in law tongue

I recently acquired this plant and the leaves seem to be too long to stand straight up so I was wondering if I could trim them or if I should propagate them.

Photos (1)
mother_in_law_tongue

Wow. I can honestly say that I've NEVER seen a Sansevieria that floppy (see link to pics below).

I think you have a definite culture issue going on here. Even though Sansevierias are well-known for withstanding neglect - low light in particular - I can't help but feel that your plant isn't getting the bare minimum it needs for optimum health. In addition, these plants need excellent drainage (like a cactus or succulent soil mix) & MUST be kept on the dry side. Even from the photo your soil looks too moist.

A Sansevieria getting what it needs will not require any sort of staking or support, no matter how tall, & the leaves will be relatively tough, thick, & almost fleshy.

http://www.bing.com/images/sea...Sanseveria&FORM=IGRE

You could "try" propagating it via leaf cuttings, but the leaves of your plant look so tender, I'm not sure they would root succesfully. As for "trimming", you'll be left with a lot of scabbed-over stumps.

All that said, I'd probably cut all those floppy leave back quite severely (try propagating some pieces if you wish), repot the plant in suitable potting medium, give it a heckuva lot more light & a bit less water, & wait for new growth to start appearing at the base (like the little guy I see in the foreground).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"My body is a temple - unfortunately, it's a fixer-upper."

"And no, I'm NOT being snarky."

Zone 7a, Culpeper, Virginia

Like (0 likes)

OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image