Forums
Search

Thai tea leaves?

So... we got a new Thai place and they have this stuff called "Thai iced tea". NOT chai - Thai.

The stuff is amazing. Pretty dark orange color, layered with cream or coconut milk (my fave) on top. SOOOO delish.

Anyway, I was looking online and it seems easy to make at home... IF only one can FIND Thai Tea Leaves. Does anyone know if this can be grown in zone 7, or where I might find whatever type of plant these leaves grow on? None of my grocery stores sell the leaves - not even the co-op. Frowner

Do you have an Asian market in your area? I love that iced tea too, & my mom sent me a box of it from an Asian market back in NY, though I imagine I'll also be able to get it at one of the Asian markets around here.

You could also look online - lots of Asian food purveyors there, including good old Amazon.com.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"My body is a temple - unfortunately, it's a fixer-upper."

"And no, I'm NOT being snarky."

Zone 7a, Culpeper, Virginia

Like (0 likes)
Hmm... not sure about an Asian market... I'll have to check it out. If not... Amazon, here I come! Smiler Thanks Breezy.

Like (0 likes)
I love that stuff, and the flavor in it is so strong that I often flavor regular tea with it - I put about 6 tb of Thai tea in a 1 qt coffee press, then brew that, and I brew 6-7 bags reg. tea in 3 qts water, then press the Thai tea out, and combine the two. Great flavor!

The traditional ing. to combine with it is canned, evaporated milk (some say sweetened condensed milk), but heavy cream is my favorite...naturally!

Flavors vary between brands, so you may find a favorite! Here's one source- more expensive than local, but if you can't find it...

BTW, Jen, are you near Issaquah, WA? That is where that source is located!

Dave

Dave    in Woodbury, NJ  zone 6B

Like (0 likes)
Issaquah is a ways from here... 2hr drive or so. But still, nice to know they're local (ish). Smiler Thanks!!!

Like (0 likes)
Thai tea leaves must be available in any Indian store.
Go to your nearby Indian store and ask for it. I am sure you will get them. and if you are looking for some good recipe for that, do let me know Wink My mom makes it really good. I can share the same recipe with you Smiler

Like (0 likes)
I tasted Thai iced tea during my friend visit in Thailand and it meshed well in my taste buds. I also like tea made out of Borage. It gives a strangle flavor but it is good. In fact, I'm a couple of days away to harvest my herb plants.

Like (0 likes)

OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image