Forums
Search

Why are there so many mosquitos? Compost bin?

I am very sensitive to insect bites and so are my kids. It's always bad for us in the summer, but this year, if we're totally slathered in bug spray, and wearing long sleeves, we're getting bit on the eyelid and cheek and ear! DH who is not usually bothered by it, got 20 bites the other night barbqueing.

We have no standing water anywhere. It's not as bad in the front yard. The ONLY thing that is different is that now there's a compost bin.

I have NOT been good with the bin. I've not been turning it, there's cantaloupe rinds on top exposed to whatever, etc. And there's not a lot of dry, brown material in it. Still, is it possible that the mosquitos are breeding in the bin??

Are the mosquitos worse this year for you?

TIA!!

I have read (but do not know for sure) that in many areas of the country, mine included, that there was a wetter than normal spring. Now that warm weather is upon us any standing water anywhere (not just in your yard) will breed more mosquitoes when we normally see. I know that on the other side of my neighbors place is a big pond that in normally dry by now but this year it still has some water left in it. So this year we too are plagued with all kinds of biting bugs, more than normal.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ LAUS DEO, Where ever I go, there I am. ..... major at nwi dot net ..... Zone 6a, Eastern Washington, sagebrush high desert, Columbia plateau.
Like (0 likes)
mosquitos lay eggs in standing water, probably not the compost.
but maybe if we said yes you would stir you compost more oftem??

If it's dead, Compost it
Like (0 likes)
Hello Greenishthumb-
Funny story one evening I found a mosquito with its proboscus buried deep in the fleshy part of the cantaloupe rind I was carrying out to the compost. It didn't mind a bit when I picked the rind up and didn't flutter a wing as I carried it outside. It had to die, as it was a mosquito, but I was happy to see a mosquito being a vegetarian. When I got out to the compost I noticed another cantaloupe rind gathering water. I dumped it right over to keep the 'skeeters from using it as a brooding pool.
If your neighbors have standing water, that may be the problem. I live near a creek and there are very often standing pools in the drainage ditches. How are you gonna beat centuries of erosion?
Good luck,
Ria

Gardening with the Gods in Colorado
Like (0 likes)
interesting about the cantaloupe rind gathering water! I guess it only takes a bit right?

So what you all are saying is that it's probably NOT the compost, right? (I promise I'll stir it more anyway)

I'm just paranoid that I'm personally responsible for the mosquitoes because they're breeding in my compost bin. I don't have to worry? Or is it remotely possible?

Thanks all!!

Like (0 likes)
Mosquito larva need about 3 inches of water that is fairly still to hatch and grow and become mosquitoes, so it is highly unlkiely that your compost bin is the place. Many species (there are hundreds of species) of mosquitoes will travel fairly long distances to find a warm blooded mammal to suck the blood the female needs to produce the eggs, so your source may be some distance away.

The sign of a good gardener is not a green thumb, it is brown knees.

West central Michigan along the lakeshore.

Like (0 likes)
Skeeters are attracted to carbon dioxide. Thats how they find their prey. Why they usually buzz your face as you breathe. Your and other animals bodies also emit CO2. My thoughts are, does the compost emit CO2 as it cooks, this could actually be an attractant to them if it does. Its warm from the heat it produces, if it is emmiting gasses, they will be attracted to it. Only to find no blood, so they figure, "well, since we are in the area, lets look around and see if there is anything here worth poking around at." And since you and your children are outside. They hit paydirt.

Am I in my cabin dreaming? Or are you really scheming, to take my ship away from me? You better think about it. I just cant live without it. So please dont take my ship from me!!!
Like (0 likes)

OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image