Forums
Search

How do I harvest black walnuts?

Was out foraging and found a lot of these trees.

Was told they are black walnuts.

What month in zone 6 are they ready to eat?

What is involved in harvesting and processing for storage?

I bought some home grown walnuts at a farmers market one time. They were in a zipllock bag and got moldy within a few weeks. Apparently they are not just crack shells open and store long-term type of thing.

wait till that green thing you have in your hand turns black and drops the walnut out of it. Then pick them up off the ground or shake the tree when you see them start to drop.
Those green walnuts can be put in a burlap bag, beat with a hammer then doused up and down in a water hole to make the fish rise to the top stunned. Just wade out and pick them up. Just dont let the game warden see you doing that.
Black walnuts usually ripen and fall about the same time as pecans and acorns. Just pay attention and watch for them.
After harvesting, they will look like black wrinkly thing. Crack them with a nut cracker or hammer and pick out the meat inside the shell. bag and freeze. They go great in home made ice cream in the summer.

Am I in my cabin dreaming? Or are you really scheming, to take my ship away from me? You better think about it. I just cant live without it. So please dont take my ship from me!!!
Like (0 likes)
With a great deal of care because until the husk is very dry it will stain anything. Otherwise generally as farmhound said.

The sign of a good gardener is not a green thumb, it is brown knees.

West central Michigan along the lakeshore.

Like (0 likes)
Thanks!

How do they get commercial walnuts to last without freezing?

Like (0 likes)
Nice to see you foraging alen. Euell Gibbons ghost is smiling over your shoulder.

[hr]Beyond the mountains, there are more mountains.
Like (0 likes)
Last without freezing. If you have a vacuum sealer. Seal them in a vacuumed jar or bag. They will last a long time just bagged and kept cool and dry. Like in your pantry. But will eventually begin to taste stale if not used within a year. you can also salt and lightly roast to help maintain freshness and flavor. But they will still go stale after a year or so.

Am I in my cabin dreaming? Or are you really scheming, to take my ship away from me? You better think about it. I just cant live without it. So please dont take my ship from me!!!
Like (0 likes)
Black walnuts are quite different from regular English walnuts thaqt you find at the grocery store. They are much stronger tasting and they seem oilier? to me. They are a smaller nut and the shell is a lot harder to crack than the light brown ones in the store. There are many medicinal uses for the walnuts that you could find out about by googling black walnut medicinal uses. They can be used as a natural dye as well.

Laura
Like (0 likes)
Love black walnuts. Yes, they are strong and carry along a "belch" factor, you know you have eaten them!

They are a PIA to crack, so I buy them from old people who sit around all winter cracking the buggers. $8 a quart sounds pricey, but I wouldn't crack them for that. We used to rake them up by the bucketloads and throw them over the fence. Me and the dog would sit in the driveway and eat ones that had been driven over and cracked. Big Grin

So if you plan to crack them, allow plenty of patience and time. It's easier to get the blackened husk off when they dry out real good. The nut has to be dry or "cured" before cracking. Cracked too soon and the meat is soft and won't keep as long. And the squirrels will take off with them if left outside to dry. My dad always put them on the porch roof protected with screens.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Everything that blooms and grows, the garden angel scatters and sows...in the land of corn and pigs...Iowa Zone 4-5

Like (0 likes)
I have a bunch of BW around my place. Here, I expect them to start dropping in about the next couple weeks--the time actually varies depending on the weather. Last year a late freeze meant there was none, and the squirrels were eating everything else they could find.

They don't actually drop out of the green husk--I think framhound is thinking of pecans and hickories, which do drop free. BW husks more or less have to rot off. Most folks just toss them into the driveway and drive over them for a week or so, which grinds the decaying husk into the gravel. The actual nut is golf ball sized and VERY thick-shelled; the meat is so strong flavored that some folks find it objectionable.

The wood is highly valuable--tight-grained and very strong. The trees actually grow surprisingly fast too; a seedling I transplanted 5 or 6 years ago...and which got hit by a young'un on a lawnmower at least once...branched out from the stump and is now around 10' tall and 5-6" in diameter at the base. I mark and keep most of the seedling trees when I check for invasive plants around the place.

Those green husks can be used for a natural dye for clothing or yarn, or for a stain for wood.

I'll check and see if I can find the recipes and post them here in a bit.

__________________________ {=^;^=} Living the good life amid the wildlife.
Like (0 likes)

__________________________ {=^;^=} Living the good life amid the wildlife.
Like (0 likes)
This is timely information. My black walnut tree is just starting to send down green hulls (Portland OR) and I was wondering what to do with them. I just moved to this house in the spring and this is a new tree for me. I can see now that it was a bad idea to use the tree as one of the anchors for my hammock. Perhaps an umbrella will be handy when laying out there with a book.

Like (0 likes)

OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image