Forums
Search

First Time Growing Tomatillos Help

How do you know when to pick them...The outer shell is green and open on the bottom and the tomatillo is hard and green inside.

Live, Love & Garden, veggie gal

Coastal Newport Beach, CA, Zone 10b

Hi Veggie,

You don't want your tomatillos to get too brown on the outside - you are best off picking when they just fill out the husk, but before they turn brown, this way they will have a better, more tart flavor. Once the husks turn brown, the fruits also start turning brown, and they can still be used, but green is best. Toward the end of the season, when they are filling out faster than I can pick, is when I find it hard to pick them all green!

Dave    in Woodbury, NJ  zone 6B

Like (0 likes)
fyi-that Mexican chef also said not to wait for the tomatillio to get super big because there is no increase in flavor(unlike other veggies) As soon as they fill out the husk and are golf ball sized is when I pick them. It's a matter of personal taste Smiler

Like (0 likes)
Thanks to you all...All the answers really help.

Live, Love & Garden, veggie gal

Coastal Newport Beach, CA, Zone 10b

Like (0 likes)
I am growing them for the first time as well- and some of mine are almost golf ball sized- I can't wait to have some. Will they keep producing? I have a very long growing season here.

Like (0 likes)
you will have piles and piles of them!

I grew 2 last year, ended up tossing a whole bunch at the end.....just couldn't consume them all...

Like (0 likes)
quote:
Originally posted by veggie gal:
How do you know when to pick them...The outer shell is green and open on the bottom and the tomatillo is hard and green inside.

You gotta love those tomatillos! A few will drop on the ground, and you will have them forever! I live on Cape Cod, and grew them for the first time hereabout 4 years ago. Early on they get bean beetles but quickly outgrow them...I just transplant the babies where I want them...don't bother with too much water or fertilizer, and away they go! At least one vegetable you can depend on...problem is getting cilantro to be available at the same time.

Like (0 likes)

OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image