Forums
Search

Sweet pepper plants being eaten?

Help! My sweet red peppers and hot peppers are being eaten. I noticed broken leaves the other day and this morning was horrified to find that several leaves had been munched on.

The holes are small, no larger than 1/4-1/2 inch in diameter, but the muncher/s ate several new leaves close to where the it's blooming. I haven't seen anything on them and can't tell if it's something big or small. Could it be birds? Any idea what this might be?

Is this a place where the flour would work?

What is essential, is invisible to the eye.
Gigi, it could possibly be beetles (cucumber or colorado potato) or hornworms. Yep, hornies go for pepper leaves as well as tomato. Frowner

If the damage is from a hornworm, look for its droppings on leaves below the damage or on the ground. Then - eww! - handpick. If it's beetles, likely they're doing damage at night. So spraying any insecticidal soap when they're not present won't really do any good. I'd suggest covering the plants w/a floating row cover, but if it is beetles, they're probably laying low in the ground near the plants during the day and covering the plants will only provide cover for the beetles to do their dirty work at night! Frowner

The only one that comes to mind now is a product called Surround. I think GardensAlive is the only venue that carries it. If you apply it, it'll protect the plant day and night from the chewing culprits. http://www.gardensalive.com/product.asp?pn=8072&ss=surround

I know there's more remedies to be suggested by other folks here. As for the flour method, I haven't a clue, but it does sound a bit circumspect IMO.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ [i]"To Live Is Not Just To Survive, But To Thrive With Passion, Compassion, Humor & Style."[/i] ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ My Blogs: [URL=http://www.lindafrank.blogspot.com] GardenzOwn [/URL] [URL=http://www.OurGardenEarth.blogspot.com]OurGardenEarth[/URL]
Like (0 likes)
Gardenz: "but if it is beetles, they're probably laying low in the ground near the plants during the day"

Thanks for pointing that out. It agrees with what I see happening with my flea beetles and bean leaf beetles.

My strategy at the moment is to kill the beetles I see and try to grow the plants through the problem.

I read somewhere that if the damage is less than 35% the plant can still do well. So far the only thing showing that much damage is my colossus cowpeas and they're managing to survive the beetles and the rust. BTW, the Serenade is working great. I'll be dosing my cowpeas with it again today.

I came into this world with nothing, and I still have most of it left!
Like (0 likes)

OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image