Forums
Search

Something is eating my tomatoes

I live in LA and I planted tomatoes in my garden before the summer. Most of them turned out nice and red, however, the rest of them are still green and slowly turning red but by the time they are ripe, the bugs eat them, so there is half a tomato left for me Frowner . I am not sure what it is, I have seen snails and flies near the vegetable...what can i do to get rid of the stuff the gets to my tomatoes before I do?

Could be birds eating your tomatoes. X-( I generally leave a couple of them on the vine that they have started eating so they will go back to them.

Are the leaves removed or just the tomatoes eaten? If the leaves are stripped then you probably have the Great Horned tomato worm; :O This is probably the ugliest of all garden pests. It could be snails but you would see the evidence of slime around the plant or even find the snails on the leaves or branches.

I still have two plants going but have removed 6 plants as they have done all that they are going to do for this year. Had a lousy crop of zucchinis. Frowner Don't think we had enough consistent hot weather for either the zukes or tomatoes.

Putting in beet seeds this weekend--onward Fellow So Calif gardener--we have work to do--12 months a year! :O

Like (0 likes)
Sounds to me like Japanese Beetles. I've had horn worms before, but never have I seen them eat a tomatoe. They typically eat the leaves alone. I have on multiple occasions caught the Jap Beetle munching on green and red toms.

[hr]Rockfish, deep in the Sand Hills of North Carolina
Like (0 likes)
The Tomato, or Tobacco, hornworms will eat any part of the tomato plant they can get to, Japanese beetles will, if they go after a tomato, eat the leaves only. If there are large bites taken from the fruit think of chipmonks, squirrels, skunks, raccoons, and other critters you may have around. We had a dog once that would nibble on the tomatoes on the plants. This could well be a problme especially if you have not provided those guys with an alternative source of water. The only reason birds would go after your tomatoes would be lack of water.

Like (0 likes)
Kimm,
Your posting is the exact opposite of what I've observed horn worms do for years. I have witnessed the horn worm go for the leaves first. I usaully got rid of them before anything further happened. I have caught the Japanese Beetle in the act going for the Tom, red or green first and leaving large bite marks. Marks that could easily be mistaken for others. I have never seen them go for the leaves. Maybe it's a regional thing. Typically, if an animal the size of a squirrel or coon is hungry, they will take the entire fruit off the vine before biting it.

[hr]Rockfish, deep in the Sand Hills of North Carolina
Like (0 likes)
Could it be crickets and grasshoppers? I've noticed more holes in tomatoes since those guys showed up.

But I don't have to worry now, the frost has taken care of everything!! :_|

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Everything that blooms and grows, the garden angel scatters and sows...in the land of corn and pigs...Iowa Zone 4-5

Like (0 likes)
I've seen Jap Beetles burrow into the soft flesh of ripe peaches (ruined quite a few this year that way) but not tomatoes--haven't even seen them on the foliage that I can recall.
Birds would have to peck at the fruit, thus leave fairly deep holes, which insects would then get into.
Never seen crickets anywhere but the ground, and I don't know if a grasshopper would go for tomato, but this year for the first time I have seen hornworms eat tomatos. I track them down on my plants by looking down low first for fresh droppings; saw a definite change in the droppings and actually caught several in the act of despoiling the fruit. They leave large roundish shallow holes.

__________________________ {=^;^=} Living the good life amid the wildlife.
Like (0 likes)
Just the tomotoes get eatin, not the leaves. I am not sure what it is, but i have two little puppies in the backyard and they are pretty good with keeping the birds away, unless of course they are napping. And I know the dogs dont eat them because the ones that get half eatin are either too high or too low on the vine. I have seen snails and crickets in the backyard. How can I get rid of the snails and crickets?

Are you starting you beet seeds indoors or out?

Like (0 likes)
lol...I have also seen Jap Beetles in my backyard, however, very few. But one of the tomoatoes that was half eatin had a snail in it... Wink
But the green tomatoes are left for me...no one eats those...

Like (0 likes)
*droooool*....Fried green tomatoes...*sluuuurrrrrrp* MMMMMMMMMMMMMMM that's good eatin'! Big Grin

__________________________ {=^;^=} Living the good life amid the wildlife.
Like (0 likes)
Mobina814,

If it is eating half the tomato, it could be something large and four legged with a tail. Quite a few years back the city did some sewer work in the neighborhood. It chased the rodents out all over. Some set up camp in my garden and found tomatoes to their liking.

Fortunately the problem was solved and they have not returned.

So you might consider a few exploratory traps in any likely hiding places.

John Cleveland Oh

Like (0 likes)
I will work on that because I used to have rodents in my yard 2 yrs ago. Thank you. I did not even think about that.

Like (0 likes)
Mobina, somehow I missed your first post--welcome! We now have a group of people in or near LA. I'm in West Adams, near USC. DD lives in Studio City.

Hornworms have eaten my tomatoes in the past. Even when the raccoons set up shop in my yard they left the tomatoes alone. If you have lots of snails and slugs, try the nontoxic snail bait called "Sluggo." You can buy it at any nursery.

Like (0 likes)

OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image