Forums
Search

What would you do ... culinary sage?

Owing to a culinary sage plant that went to seed last year (I saved a bunch, but obviously missed some), I have probably a couple hundred small first-year sage plants hanging around in a particular corner of my garden. I love sage in fall dishes (squash soup, stuffings, etc), but this is more than I need! What would you do with the excess?

By the way, I sell at a small farmer's market. However... I doubt people would buy much sage by the bag. Maybe a little, but this is definitely over the top! I hate to sound negative, but I suspect that most of our shoppers would have little idea what to do with it anyway... Frowner

Sage pesto???

- - - - - - - - - - - - Elizabeth www.WordCures.com
One of my favourites-sage leaves in a browned butter sauce served over pumpkin or butternut squash ravioli. Dry the leaves to use in the Thanksgiving turkey stuffing?

Like (0 likes)
Since you're not interested in that much sage yourself anyway, I'd clip & offer at the market.

But leave the little plants in place & next year when the ones that make it through the winter start to emerge, dig them up & pot them in cheap plastic pots & offer them at the market as plants. Our vendors here that offer potted herb plants in the spring CLEAN UP. Tiny pots run between $2-$3; larger 6"-8" pots run around $5. In fact, I myself recently bought a couple of large $5 pots of thyme & marjoram because they were irresitably bushy & healthy. I've repotted them & hope to bring them in for the winter.

As far as fresh sage recipes, one of my favorites for large amounts of sage is to stuff big handfulls of it into the cavities of fresh whole trout, along with some lemon slices & crushed garlic cloves, before grilling them.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"My body is a temple - unfortunately, it's a fixer-upper."

"And no, I'm NOT being snarky."

Zone 7a, Culpeper, Virginia

Like (0 likes)
Thanks! Smiler

Oh, I can't wait until the winter squashes start coming in...

Like (0 likes)
Sage bundles are used in Native American smudging ceremonies. Find someone who engages in native rituals. Bet you could sell sage bundles for native, new age types of ceremonies. I had my drums blessed with sage smoke by a shaman some years ago...

Less mystically, you can deep fry the sage leaves and serve as a garnish (but it won't use up much)

MD Eastern Shore, Zone 7
Like (0 likes)
Pot them up to sell to the home gardeners?

With thanksgiving in mind - many might like the idea? Maybe have some recipe for them and a sign with the price and the tag: "Grow enough for fresh sage in your thanksgiving recipes" or some such....

Like (0 likes)
OH - I see breezy already suggested this...

Breezy - why not this year? are they too little?

Like (0 likes)
Hey - a good idea is always worth repeating! Smiler

The reason I, personally, wouldn't bother potting them up now is because they most likely wouldn't have enough time to become well-established - both in new pots or in new gardens - to survive a very cold winter. They'll have a much better chance of successful rehoming in the spring.

Unlike many ornamental perennials, shrubs, & trees that actually benefit from fall planting, sage is really more of a "tender perennial" that tends to peter out & need replacing after a few years. I've just found that they recover from disturbance much better in the spring than in the fall.

In fact, even though it's still hot & summery out, the shorter days already have my sage here putting out much much less growth than just a month ago. They seem to know the season is coming to a close.

Like (0 likes)
Thanks again!

4nematode, this is not the same variety of sage I have seen used ceremonially. It's culinary sage. I've seen 2 other varieties used ceremonially, and one of them grows rather abundantly not too far away. Thanks though!

Thanks again Breezy & MsT. The original plant keeled over after it went to seed, but it left many children in its wake. The flowers were quite pretty!

I'm thinking it would probably be best to clip a bit this fall and then pot up a few of the survivors early next season. Not sure anyone will be interested, but why not try?

Like (0 likes)
Actually, I shouldn't have said that Sage is a "tender perennial", as mine have withstood some pretty severe winter weather for several seasons so long as they had excellent drainage. Sage hates wet feet. Rather it's more of a "short-lived perennial", just sort of petering out after a few years.

"Tender perennials", on the other hand, can live long & healthy lives with decent protection.

Like (0 likes)
One of the dishes that my husband makes that is so delish is when he bakes a half turkey breast.
He separates the skin from the meat and sticks
sage leaves underneath. He bakes it skin side down half of the time and then stands it up to brown.
He has tried it with ckn breasts as well. It imparts a lovely flavor to the meat. I never thought to use it with fish, as BG suggested..
mmm... possibilities.
I wonder if you sliced a winter squash to make it sit stright and placed the sage leaf underneath it, put maple sugar, dried crandberries and a dot of butter in the cavity...

Like (0 likes)
Could you make a wreath with sage branches while it was still plyable..?

Like (0 likes)
Yes, sage is frequently used to make herbal wreaths. The only problem is that they tend to be rather delicate once the leaves get very brittle. And they're also awful dust-collectors!

Like (0 likes)
Hmmm. Now there's an idea... think I'll bet I could braid some in with my garlic! Big Grin Thanks Claude!

Like (0 likes)
Sage is one of my favorite colors for decorating and dried sage could be made into various cute things. But my idea to tell you is to sell herby wood bundles for barbecuing. You can sell oregano stems if you have that and basil once it gets woody. I haven't done this yet but plan too now that it is getting cooler. I have tons of oregano!

Sage is a great deodorant. I use Burt Bee's sage spray deodorant and it works great. Plus sage spray helps hot flashes. You might try steeping some leaves and selling spray bottles of sage "tea" for hot flashes and deodorant. Or sell large bunches with a sign about such things. It doesn't have to be just people deodorant but could be an air freshener too. My friend who gets hot flashes took every sage leaf I had last fall and made tea and kept it in the fridge to spray on herself.

A tip for selling fresh sage is to tell people to try wrapping a leaf around chicken chunks and skewer and grill them. That tastes great. I don't have more sage than other herbs so I just dry some and put a modest amount in my seasoning mixes for poultry or pork especially also good in soup.

------------------------------------------------

Small market and CSA grower. 1/2 acre. Doing too much by myself but trying. http://www.localharvest.org/member/M33044

Central Minnesota Zone 4

Like (0 likes)
Thanks so much, Minnie! Several great ideas! Cool

Like (0 likes)
I Love the idea of bundleing for grilling.

And advertised as such should sell at Farmer's Market, with a printout on how to grill with fresh herbs.

Here a thought like that would go, say, for $1.00 a bundle. But, 75 cents would entice the buyer even more , to purchase, which is your goal.
And if you have all that extra stuff, you can't use, unload, etc................

Might as well make some money on it, right?

MARYLAND zone 6
Like (0 likes)
What should the printout say? I guess I haven't used them for grilling myself in that way. Sounds like more of a man's hobby. LOL

------------------------------------------------

Small market and CSA grower. 1/2 acre. Doing too much by myself but trying. http://www.localharvest.org/member/M33044

Central Minnesota Zone 4

Like (0 likes)
You may want to do some grilling experiments yourself before writing a handout.

I've never used dried (or fresh) sage bundles for grilling, but am thinking they'd go up pretty quickly before imparting much of anything except burnt smoke. Same goes for any dried herb - I'd think you'd get more of a burnt flavor than anything else. Now I've added green (not dry) Rosemary lightly to hot coals & gotten some nicer herbal smoke, although I prefer to use it (& fennel) as a bed up on the grate to nest my chicken or fish on.

Like (0 likes)

OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image