Forums
Search

Dill Bread

I made this dill bread with home made minestrone soup tonight and it was so good I wanted to share the recipe. It is a no yeast bread and really easy.

2 c. whole wheat flour
1 1/2 c. white flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 rounded tsp dill seeds, crush with a rolling pin.
1 1/2 c. sour milk
3 tbsp melted butter
2 tbsp brown sugar

Combine dry ingredients.
Combine last 3 ingredients and add to the dry ingredients.

Mix until moistened, then knead for a couple of minutes on a board dusted with some whole wheat flour.

Shape into a round loaf and make several diagonal cuts across the top.

Brush with beaten egg yolk and place on a cookie sheet sprayed with cooking spray.

Bake at 375 degrees for 50 minutes.

Zone 7b  Southeastern PA

Mmm! Printing this out even as we speak. I think I'll try some caraway seeds.

Like (0 likes)
I'm not a baker by any means, but do have a package of "whole wheat pastry flour" to use up.

Do you think this would work in this bread recipe, or that it might be too "fine"?

Oh, & would cultured buttermilk work for the "sour milk"?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"My body is a temple - unfortunately, it's a fixer-upper."

"And no, I'm NOT being snarky."

Zone 7a, Culpeper, Virginia

Like (0 likes)
I used King Arthur's Organic Whole Wheat Flour and it seemed to be finer than other whole wheat flours that I have used in the past so I would guess that your pastry flour would be good. Also I don't let milk go sour, I just add vinegar to regular milk. I am thinking that your buttermilk would be good. I recently made a pancake batter with buttermilk and they were really good.

I am not a baker either so I am no expert but you really should give this one a try. It's really easy and it is so pretty the way it cracks open on the top and it is a perfect size for 2 people since it only makes one loaf.

Zone 7b  Southeastern PA

Like (0 likes)
Thanks for posting this recipe! This was absolutely delicious with the clam chowder for supper tonight. (We had snow today-ugh)

Like (0 likes)
I am a baker and sour milk, milk with either vinegar or lemon juice added, or buttermilk can be used pretty much interchangeably.

I made a yeast dill bread last year and loved it, dill is good in bread.

Like (0 likes)
I get a food network e-mail with recipes and today they had whole wheat Irish soda bread. It is very similar to my dill bread recipe but without the dill and butter. It did have buttermilk though.

Anyway they said that acid is needed to activate the baking soda and that buttermilk supplies this. Since my sour milk contains vinegar it is an acid too so it looks like either one works like Ms T-Bird says.

Zone 7b  Southeastern PA

Like (0 likes)
oooh brown, could I have the whole wheat irish soda bread recipe? I've been saying I want to make it.

I am a 100% whole wheat baker (as in no white flour). I've used ww pastry flour which is lighter than regular ww flour and good in baked goods. But I just started using King Arthur's organic ww- I have to admit I was a bit skeptical when a friend, who is an executive chef, told me to try King Arthur's flour. But I am sold!!! My baked goods have never been lighter!

Zone 5/6  Northern New Mexico

Like (0 likes)
Yes, I agree that King Arthur is good stuff and so smooth.

Anyway go here

http://www.foodnetwork.com/

and type irish soda bread in the search box. There are lots of recipes that look wonderful and the whole wheat one is there too but it does have some white flour as well so you will have to adjust it. I like the ones with raisins and I was thinking of trying one of them for St. Partick's Day.

Zone 7b  Southeastern PA

Like (0 likes)
Alright, dude of infamous pizza dough catastrophe, is going to try this. Bride used to make our own bread (King Arthur), and I'd stay out of the way. But now ... nobody's looking! Big Grin

Like (0 likes)
Peter, good luck and have fun! Making bread is so satisfying. Even when it doesn't come out looking the greatest, it still tastes darn good!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Inch by inch, row by row, gonna make this garden grow... David Mallett, "Garden Song"

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Eastern Maine, zone 4

Like (0 likes)
I needed to use up some fresh dill that I bought for another recipe, so I substituted about a half-cup of fresh dill for the seeds. Then I decided that I should use up some of the giant package of Turkish olives my brother gave me. And then I saw the scallions in the fridge! The bread was delicious! Like some of the other people who have responded, I used buttermilk -- another item that needed using up.

Like (0 likes)
i always use the "what have i got to use up" method of cooking! I have to consult my sister for instance, on: "what do I put in potato salad again?" because I tend to put whatever I have in the fridge. hahhaha

»☼Ö®≡Gö∩RΣÐ☺«

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Willemette Valley Oregon, 7A?  Member since 2005

Like (0 likes)

OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image