Forums
Search

How many herbs do you have left producing?

I saved 2 big basil plants from the frost. The other things, Rosemary, thyme, sage, chives and mints look good.

(P.S. I"m trying to get a new topic over topp that unwanted post.)

This could be one of those questions that zone 10 gardeners shouldn't answer. What's growing now are the perennials: rosemary, thyme, sage, marjoram, mint/ and the (winter) annuals: parsley and cilantro. The sweet basil is done; it only grows in summer here. Though my neighbor has a big basil that's still going strong. Lavender grows as a shrub year round.

[hr]Jennifer in zone 10, Los Angeles, Sunset zone 22
Like (0 likes)
I still have greek oregano+ parsley(these are under my covered mesclun salad bed); thymes,roman chamomile, lovage + nepetas still look a-ok even after umpteen 'light' frosts.

"Maybe one of the secrets of survival is to learn where to dance." Stanley Kunitz
Like (0 likes)
Herbs? Growing?! Uhm...Good question. I have to look under the snow that covers a couple of them...

Here is what I have" Sage (two types, normal and TriColor), Three types of Lavender, Chives, Garlic Chives, Thyme, Rosemary, Rose, Stevia (Second Year going! WOOT!), and some others...

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~* "As one learns more and more, they learn that they know less and less." I live in Zone 5/6 NY...Differs due to Lake Erie.... Visit My Blog! http://greenisthenewprada.blogspot.com
Like (0 likes)
Forgot garlic chives and oregano, both perennials.

[hr]Jennifer in zone 10, Los Angeles, Sunset zone 22
Like (0 likes)
Um, everything? No frost yet here. Basil is usually the first to go but it is still going strong. Parsley is almost year round, sage is year round as is the hardy rosemary. I have never had Stevia live through the winter but this year I am going to take cuttings. I am going to miss my lemon thyme when it goes and I know I don't have enough dried to last the winter. Nest year I need more of it.

God Almighty first planted a garden. And indeed, it is the purest of human pleasures. Francis Bacon

Virginia  Zone 7

Like (0 likes)
quote:
Originally posted by jenniferch.:
This could be one of those questions that zone 10 gardeners shouldn't answer. What's growing now are the perennials: rosemary, thyme, sage, marjoram, mint/ and the (winter) annuals: parsley and cilantro. The sweet basil is done; it only grows in summer here. Though my neighbor has a big basil that's still going strong. Lavender grows as a shrub year round.

Yeah, I was a little reticent to even say anything here. Wink If I say I've still got basil, everyone will hate me. Razzer --J--

You should always have a plant B.
Like (0 likes)
No basil here anymore. Just sage and parsley. I could probably find some chive too.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Everything that blooms and grows, the garden angel scatters and sows...in the land of corn and pigs...Iowa Zone 4-5

Like (0 likes)
Parsley is still growing great, and sage, thyme, lemon verbena, a little tarragon, a little mint, and some chives. Some basil and holy basil are still there, but I harvested almost all of it, as it was supposed to frost here, but it didn't! And, of course, the rosemary is always there...

Speaking of chives, I found my garlic chives (but not the regular chives, next to them) totally covered with small black bugs last week - any idea what these could be? About 1 mm in dia., and did not seem to fly away when disturbed, and just about all died when I sprayed it with a mix of soap and neem oil. I have never seen this before - don't remember any bugs on my chives or garlic chives in the past.

Dave

Dave    in Woodbury, NJ  zone 6B

Like (0 likes)
Those are black aphids. Treat them as you would other aphid infestations. One trick that works for me is to harvest the Chives... That doesn't leave them much to feed on, so they leave.

Like (0 likes)
Thanks, Was...they do look like some sort of aphid, with their slow moving and size. I have just never seen these around here, but there is a first time for every bug!

Dave

Like (0 likes)
I recommend that you do the cut down to the ground with the chives.. especially this time of the year. The Chives will not grow back very fast and the bugs will move as I asid earlier. Cut the chives down to the ground. It will cause the aphids to leave!

Like (0 likes)
hey, I also have feverfew and it is still blooming. So cute, that plant!
(I did a garden inventory yesterday of who was still blooming this late in Z4/NH and came up with 5 plants!...if I had snapdragons, maybe there would be 6)

"Maybe one of the secrets of survival is to learn where to dance." Stanley Kunitz
Like (0 likes)
GlucomannanGlucomannan is a calorie free dietary fiber source obtained from the root of the konjac plant. Our Glucomannan is specially grown and prepared in Japan according to Nature's Ways exacting specifications.
Hoodia Gordonii

Like (0 likes)
Glucomannan
Glucomannan is a calorie free dietary fiber source obtained from the root of the konjac plant. Our Glucomannan is specially grown and prepared in Japan according to Nature's Ways exacting specifications. other produts Hoodia Gordonii

Like (0 likes)
Now, after a couple of freezes, the parsley, sage, and thyme are still doing ok, as well as the rosemary, which is always there. It is incredible how green and vibrant the parsley is, after the frosts and freezes I've had - it really takes a heavy freeze to kill it.

Dave

Like (0 likes)
Parsley and thyme outside. Oregano and basil inside.

MARYLAND zone 6
Like (0 likes)
I can't believe that I still have Lemon Balm... I brought the rosemary in the house just to be safe. But the lemon balm was still green today. I think I'm going to look for some mint so I can make some mint tea to go with my chocalate chip cookies and other cookies.

Like (0 likes)
Cleaning off my horsradish spot, and found a bunch of fresh green baby leaves sprouting under there. Used the new Organic Gardening mag (newest issue) idea of griding horseradish and waiting a few minutes before adding the vinegar to increase heat, but I couldn't really tell a difference from that method and adding it right away.

MARYLAND zone 6
Like (0 likes)
Oh my gosh, lisaann, thanks for reminding me! I keep forgetting to dig up my horseradish!

As far as other herbs, I have lots of dill still growing all over where it seeded itself and the chives keep peeking out from their pots.

It's gotten cold but we haven't had a long, continuous super cold snap quite yet.

~~~~ I garden ♥ therefore I am. ~~~~

~~~~ Zone 7a  Southeastern PA ~~~~ Member since 2002 ~~~~

Like (0 likes)
Virtually everything but the basils - basils are toast. Light frosts have buzzed the pineapple sage, so they've got tipburn, but the stevia rebaudiana is still going strong, surprisingly. Rosemary is perennial here, as is my sweet bay tree (now almost 3 ft. tall), chives are looking & tasting good. Lemon balm and mints are enjoying the respite from heat, but the lemon verbena is starting to feel the nip of frost, too. Imagine the leaves will prolly brown and drop with the next cold spell - should be back just fine with the spring. The gingers are looking quite poorly, but they almost all come back in the spring, no digging required.

How far south is horseradish grown? Does anybody successfully grow it in the heat, or would it have to be dug up and stored for the summer like so many other bulbs and tubers down here?

~ True grits, more grits, fish grits and collards. Life is good, where grits are swollar'd.
Like (0 likes)

OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image