Forums
Search

I'm helping my friend on this

I'm helping my friend on this..

"I want to have an organic herb garden. But because I have waited too long is it ok to buy starter plants that have a bit of pesticide used on them and never use pesticides again? Does the pesticide wash off? Can I just pinch off the part that had the pesticide used on it?"

please help

I certainly don't see anything wrong with buying started plants to get things going. How you manage the plants is going to have the greatest effect on them by the time harvest comes along.

North Central Illinios

Like (0 likes)
hello,it's okay, what OliverMan say, but if you want to culivate organic use organic non toxic pesticides and fertilizer and look for a gardenshop which use organic treatment.
One "kick" with chem.pestcide at first is possible, but in the long run your results are better and more healthy with organic matter.
Think: herbs you eat 100%!
Organic luck and best regards, ThaiGer.
P.S.: It's better looking for the best RELATION between take care our earth and the results you want reached.

http://camping-in-thailand.com/ and http://www.farmersvoice.info/ "To know what we know, and know what we do not know, that is understanding."(Confucius)
Like (0 likes)
If you get organic plants, you don't have to worry and if you get a headstart, with conventionally grown...what you do from then on is important. Buy organic when you can.
You can start herbs from seed as well using heirloom seed that you can save for the future.
So, there are many options open to you as you begin. If you want the herbs to use this season, plants may be the way to go as far as a quick
Harvest. Decisions, decisions. Grow what you know you will use..you can't go wrong!

Like (0 likes)
The pesticides that are permitted to be used on edibles will wash off the plants so someone could purchase "conventionally" grown plants and after a time of due care call them organic. Many organic gardeners buy "conventionally" grown bedding plants with little to no paranoia about the pesticides that may have been used.

The sign of a good gardener is not a green thumb, it is brown knees.

West central Michigan along the lakeshore.

Like (0 likes)
I liked what they said. Buying started plants is not a bad idea at all though I propagated all the plants in the garden myself. What matters is how you keep your plants healthy.

Like (0 likes)

OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image