Forums
Search

Method cleaning products

Can anybody tell me how organic the "Method" cleaning products are? I've found them in Shopper's Drug Mart (Canadian) but the Method website, and information on the bottle do not provide what the ingredients are exactly.
I bought a bottle of the lavender all-purpose cleaner - it smells good - but it is promoted as a completely natural cleaner.
Has anybody had any experience with this stuff?

I'm not sure if Method is organic, but the products do state that all of the ingredients are naturally derived. I know that when I use their cleaners I don't get that chemical taste in the back of my mouth like I do from breathing others cleaners. I use their laundry detergent, fabric softener, all-purpose cleaner, dish detergent & automatic dishwasher detergent and am very pleased with all of them.

Western NC....Zone 7
Like (0 likes)
Thanks, bekah. I used the lavender all-purpose yesterday and was pleased with it too.

Like (0 likes)
I have found the glass cleaner to be exceptional. It is nice to do the cleaning without that choking stench of ammonia!
Julie

Like (0 likes)
Hi loamy,

I don't know much about the Method products (though some of my granola friends use them, so they're probably not too bad), but I make my own cleaning products. Well, "make" is a strong a word, since it's so very simple to do.

For glass cleaner, I mix white vinegar with water in a 1:3 proportion, put it in a spray bottle, and it works better than windex. I use it for all polishing jobs, including sinks and mirrors.

For scrubbing mix, I use baking powder and dish detergent. Sometimes I make a paste, sometimes I just sprinkle a bit of each on the item to be scrubbed, sometimes I sprinkle a bit of each on a rag. This combination works better than Comet, and if you choose a dish detergent with a nice smell, it smells good too. You do have to rinse it clean afterward.

For stain removal and odor removal, I use baking soda. For countertop and stovetop type stains (stains on hard surfaces), I sprinkle the baking soda, then lay a damp cloth over the area and leave it for 20 minutes or longer (as long as it doesn't dry out). Then scrub clean--this takes stains out of surfaces almost as well as bleach, though it's more work (you do have to scrub some--it won't just come up from having had the soda sitting there). For carpets and odors, I dampen the area and then sprinkle the baking soda. It draws the pigment up out of the fabric and I can later vacuum it up. I sometimes scrub it a bit, or reapply if the stain doesn't come up all the way.

I know people have more elaborate recipes to include things like lavendar oils and lemon rinds and so on, or to address specific cleaning needs, but those are the "formulas" that work for 90% of my cleaning jobs around the house, and they are simple simple (and cheap). And I have two BOYS under six to clean up after, so they've withstood the mommy test! Smiler

Hey, you could probably make something really special for shelleysmellies and market it yourself! Smiler

Blessings,

Heather

Like (0 likes)
I do use a lot of vinegar for cleaning too (buy it in giant jugs at Costco), but I do like Method and use a few of their products.

But the main thing I wanted to add was kudos to the Method people for making accessible (you can get it at Target for about the same price as the normal cleaners) solutions which are not tested on animals! That was the main thing that made me buy a few of their items, like the wood floor cleaner and the all surface spray (mostly cause I love the smell of the pink grapefruit Smiler

Like (0 likes)
Here is one more for baking soda. Sprinkle it in your oven (and oven door) cover with wet paper towels and presto, wipe it clean after a few minutes!

Like (0 likes)
I can and do make alot of my own cleaning goodies. But it is like everything else I make from scratch; it takes time. Time is beginning to be my most precious commodity. I figured if I could replace a few things I make from scratch for household use, like this Method all-purpose spray, I would go for it.

Like (0 likes)

OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image