Forums
Search

When is your peak tree color?

Our peak tree color is usually right around my birthday... somethere between Oct. 15-20. (BD 18th)

WHen do the trees peak in your part of the country(Canada included)

Central Vermont & New Hampshire - the first or second weekend in October.

Northern Vermont & New Hampshire - a week earlier.

Southern Vermont & New Hampshire - a week later

You don't stop dancing because you've grown old. You grow old because you've stopped dancing. - apologies to G.B. Shaw
Like (0 likes)
There actually are a few trees which have lovely color here, but not yet, maybe in early November. The gingko and liquidamber are the best.

[hr]Jennifer in zone 10, Los Angeles, Sunset zone 22
Like (0 likes)
Hard to tell. Some years we get some color, sometimes we don't.

Depends on if and when cold fronts actually make it down, and if it's clear, sunny, and cool, or if it's cloudy & rainy. And if the fronts don't make it down and we have a hot fall, fuhgeddaboudit.

Popcorn trees and river birch are probably the closest thing we've got to reliable color here. I want a gingko!

~ True grits, more grits, fish grits and collards. Life is good, where grits are swollar'd.
Like (0 likes)
Once I visited older DS in Cleveland Heights at the peak of fall color. Thought I would die of joy. Enormous trees saturated in yellow, orange, and red. Unbelievable!!

[hr]Jennifer in zone 10, Los Angeles, Sunset zone 22
Like (0 likes)
We've passed our peak already here - especially with that windstorm on Saturday. Lived in Cleveland Hts until I was 12. Big Grin

- - - - - - - - - - - - Elizabeth www.WordCures.com
Like (0 likes)
It started here about last Wed. and the colors up and down hwy 61 are fantastic. I do not mind the miles I drive this time of year, as every corner is another blessing in beauty. It should last at least 10-14 days getting even more glorious.

Like (0 likes)
Our peak is over already and most of the leaves are off of the trees. We have acres of sugar maple trees, a few red oaks among a variety of other trees. The sugar maples are the ones that are stunning in the fall, with the yellow, orange and bright red, but don't think they got as bright this year as normal. I suppose the lack of water this summer was hard on them. The red oak we have in our front yard is beautiful tho, and usually those leaves stay on most of the winter.... with a blanket of pure white snow and some frost, stunning.

My husband is color blind so he doesn't see the bright colors, last year about this time we went to Taylor Falls, MN and the veiw across the St. Croix river was incredable. I told him that if he could see those colors for only 10 minutes in his life THIS 10 minutes would be the time.

Plant seeds in the sunshine, dance in the rain
Like (0 likes)
We've got swamp maple and tulip trees that are very nice coloring out - if the weather is right. If not, they just kind of dump the leaves w/o much fanfare.

Wish we could afford a foliage trip. I remember when DH & I were first married, and visiting relatives cross-country prior to heading to the Philippines with the AF. We stopped at a rest area just inside Pennsylvania on the top of a tall hill. It was peak color, and you could see rounded hills covered in glorious color, broken by the green fields (young winter wheat, buckwheat???), standing field corn, recently plowed fields, cows, sheep, and the occasional farmstead, just about as far as the eye could see. It looked like a postcard or painting, it was so pretty.

Sometimes I really do miss living up north.

~ True grits, more grits, fish grits and collards. Life is good, where grits are swollar'd.
Like (0 likes)
Most of the state is past peak. We have a large 60-70 year old maple that is always late and it is still green. It is always the last to leaf out in the spring and the last to turn in the fall.

Like (0 likes)
Don't know if there are any Rhode Islanders here, but we were just there and I bet they're at their peak right now.

In my part of Maryland, the leaves are starting to turn, not totally breathtaking yet though.

Like (0 likes)

OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image