Forums
Search

Bonsai Peppers

From time to time gardeners here have asked questions (here at OG) about the size they had to have for landscape specimens of woody plants. Sometimes the "what everybody knows" just isn't true. I'm tucking this in here because I wanna stretch (shrink) that size consensus down, way-way down.

I am really bad at creating links Here is alink to Fatalii's front page, go to their gallery for access to bonsai-pepper pix.

http://fataliiseeds.net/index.php

With enough suplimental light your peppers might could come indoors.

[hr]Beyond the mountains, there are more mountains.
Tom, thanks so much for this--I love indoor plants and have always been intrigued by bonsai, but recently have been giving serious thought to doing only edible indoor plantings.
The bonsai pepper growing guide is so well photographed and written that I'm planning on trying this next year when I get the garden going again!

__________________________ {=^;^=} Living the good life amid the wildlife.
Like (0 likes)
Very, very cool! How old do you think that the pepper bonsai is with the 6" caliper?
Do you think that you could take in a plant from the garden and continue it's growth inside?

Like (0 likes)
quote:
Originally posted by CLAUDE:
Very, very cool! How old do you think that the pepper bonsai is with the 6" caliper?
Do you think that you could take in a plant from the garden and continue it's growth inside?

A full sized pepper plant can be quite large, one stumped back as shown in this link will with supplimental light continue to grow.

[hr]Beyond the mountains, there are more mountains.
Like (0 likes)
quote:
Originally posted by CLAUDE:

Definitely - so long as you have a good strong full southern-exposure window for the plant, or good supplemental light. I've potted & brought in hot pepper plants several times, & have had them bloom & fruit indoors over the winter. I've kept a few this way for a couple of years, but since I wasn't planning on bonsai-ing them, I planted them out after that & let them die off naturally. There are always new ones to bring in.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"My body is a temple - unfortunately, it's a fixer-upper."

"And no, I'm NOT being snarky."

Zone 7a, Culpeper, Virginia

Like (0 likes)
I don't suppose it is technically a bonsai but here's a photo of a three year old yellow pepper that I've brought indoors each winter. The top dies back but it keeps sprouting near the soil.
It was loaded with tiny green peppers when I brought it inside. This is the last one of those awaiting harvest.

I harvested two of the peppers tonight for salads and was surprised when I cut into them to find that the seeds had already begun to sprout.

“We’re gypsies in the palace, he’s left us here alone The order of sleepless knights will now assume the throne.”

western Kentucky, the land between the rivers

Like (0 likes)
Wow, makes me want to start my peppers now. The bonsai peppers were cute, but I was more interested in the height of the peppers in the greenhouse. They looked like they were grown hydroponically. I have never seen peppers grow that tall; they look like real trees. I know peppers are perennials in some climates. I wonder if the tall plants are several years old or if they have some growing secret. I'm going back to that site to look around.

Abigail, all 9 kids grown and 16 little gardeners: what a harvest!

Zone 7a, Far Rockaway, New York

Like (0 likes)
Here is the link to the how to part, with lots of pictures:

http://www.fatalii.net/growing...iew&id=95&Itemid=105

It seems it works better if you use a regularly grown pepper with a thick stem, then cut it back, as the stems don't thicken well once the bonzai process begins.

The tall plants were greenhouse grown, hydroponically. They give them fertilizer until they reach the desired size, so you need a longer growing season or longer days.

Abigail, all 9 kids grown and 16 little gardeners: what a harvest!

Zone 7a, Far Rockaway, New York

Like (0 likes)
i wonder if pepperhead has seen this link, or knows of this company

»☼Ö®≡Gö∩RΣÐ☺«

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Willemette Valley Oregon, 7A?  Member since 2005

Like (0 likes)
I do have this in my bookmarks for chili seeds, though I have never ordered from them. It would have to be a variety I can't get in this country, though this has happened, and I have ordered from several other countries. I looked to see if there was anything new since last season that looked interesting, but I didn't see anything.

Dave    in Woodbury, NJ  zone 6B

Like (0 likes)
golly gee wiz, you dint even comment on the cool pics in the links.... Frowner

»☼Ö®≡Gö∩RΣÐ☺«

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Willemette Valley Oregon, 7A?  Member since 2005

Like (0 likes)
quote:
Originally posted by OregonRed:
golly gee wiz, you dint even comment on the cool pics in the links.... Frowner

Actually, I didn't even look up top - I remembered that thread from way back, and that that was the place I found the link to fataliiseeds in UK. I forgot about the photos from later. Confused

I remember the one of what looked like the seed sprouted inside a ripe pepper. I wondered if this was because the pepper was on the plant so much longer than it would be on a normal plant? Really weird...

Dave    in Woodbury, NJ  zone 6B

Like (0 likes)
Thanks for these great links!

Why, oh why have I never thought to do bonsia with a pepper plant????? I've brought them indoors for the winter too many times to count.

MUST do this sometime soon.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Bloom where you are planted.

Zone 4 Central South Dakota

Like (0 likes)

OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image