Forums
Search

Can a mum overwinter inside as a house plant?

I bought it from the farmer's market from a local farmer. It is still in a pot outside. It has frosted about 3 times already, but currently the weather is warm and the ground is definitely not frozen. Should I plant it? Can I bring it inside for the winter?

It can come in for winter. Clip it down to 3-4" above soil line, clipping only just above leaf junctions where they meet the main stem. It'll want to get leggy, just pinch it back a bit from time to time. Don't let the soil dry out totally, yet don't keep it too wet either. Does fine in north-facing windows. If you're looking for blooms from it all winter, it won't perform all that well, when indoors for winter they do best if kept pinched back till Spring. Some hybrids can be kept blooming but it can be a project, it's really up to you what you'd like to try.

Smiler

Like (0 likes)
Thanks beebop. I'm not looking for blooms, I want to plant it in the spring, I just think I waited too long in the fall and don't want it to die.

Like (0 likes)

OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image