Forums
Search

WEEDKICKER FORUM: OPINIONS ON ANYTHING!

Weedkicker ask Steve for a separate forum to chat about:

Well anything from politics to anything else, so thought I'd start a thread for him till Steve works something out.

First opinion:

I don't have any yet, waiting on a subject to discuss. I can't think of anything this morning, my mind is on starting my broccoli seeds! Big Grin

MARYLAND zone 6
A Weedkicker forum - perfect!! Surely there is some opinion I have that's controversial which would be appropriate here...thinking....thinking... Well, that's enough of that - my thinking is done for the week!

They say happiness is a thing you can't touch, a thing you can't see;

I disagree  - Scrooge -

North Carolina - Zone 7a

Like (0 likes)
quote:
Originally posted by lisaaann:
Weedkicker ask Steve for a separate forum to chat about:

Well anything from politics to anything else,

Don't we already have TV for that?
The View, Anderson Cooper, Katie Couric, 20/20--not to mention what's on cable and satellite...

USA-Zone 5b

Like (0 likes)
Ravens or the crappy 49ers? Big Grin

MARYLAND zone 6
Like (0 likes)
well, maybe the niners - because of all the illegal drug use media of late, across all sports arenas: tennis, cycling and football...

»☼Ö®≡Gö∩RΣÐ☺«

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Willemette Valley Oregon, 7A?  Member since 2005

Like (0 likes)
Ray's clean.

MARYLAND zone 6
Like (0 likes)
I don't particularly like the way he parts his hair!

Dirt

PS. Please move to the correct forum if this isn't it.

Like (0 likes)
To quote the philosopher Curly Howard: "I tried to think, but nothing happens" Big Grin

Coastal Southern CA, USDA 10, Sunset 22

"Nothing is as optimistic as a seed catalog." Charles Mann

Like (0 likes)
Okay, I'll start.

What do you think of the Boy Scouts Of America doing away with it's ban on homosexual members?

I think they should not bend and here's why.

The Scout Oath;
On my honor, I will do my best, to do my duty, God and my country, to obey the scout law, to keep myself physically strong, mentally awake and morally straight.

The Scout Law
A Scout is; trustworthy, loyal, helpful, friendly, courteous, kind, obediant, cheerful, thrifty, brave, clean and reverent.

To be an avowed homosexual is contrary to the Scout Oath and Law. I think they will commit suicide if they change their policy.

I would like to hear what others have to say. Honest discussion, not angry vitriol or diatribe.

[hr]Rockfish, deep in the Sand Hills of North Carolina
Like (0 likes)
If they kick out all the sinners, who would be left?

Abigail, all 9 kids grown and 16 little gardeners: what a harvest!

Zone 7a, Far Rockaway, New York

Like (0 likes)
Oh Rockfish - it's like dangling a tastey lure in front of a trout - I just can't help myself

quote:
To be an avowed homosexual is contrary to the Scout Oath and Law

I know a goodly number of "avowed homosexuals", and in fact several are active Scout leaders, having spent their lives in the whole scouting thing.

They all lead lives that would absolutely meet the tenets of The Scout Oath - so I guess the question here is with the definition of "morally straight".

50 years ago, a mixed race couple was not "morally straight". 80 years ago, a woman who went to medical school was not "morally straight".

What two consenting adults do in the privacy of their bedroom is really between them. It's none of my business, and certainly none of the Scout's business.

I think we touched on truth and unchanging law in another thread, but it all boils back down, doesn't it? Laws that made sense 2,000 years ago may not make much sense today, and I don't particularly believe what was written down back then any more than I believe what the newspapers write today. Basically, there is one commandment - don't hurt anybody. And if we make up reasons to break that commandment, we'll deal with our own conscience, and our own God.

I disagree  - Scrooge -

North Carolina - Zone 7a

Like (0 likes)
Rockfish there is a difference between homosexual and sexual predator/pedophile.

Rather than prevent homosexuals from joining the Scouts, the Scout Law should find a way to prevent any kind of sexual activity amongst all Scouts--a tad hard for people who are known to bunk up together in communal spaces.

USA-Zone 5b

Like (0 likes)
Reading through the scout oath and law I really can't find any of those descriptions a homosexual might be contrary too. They certainly qualify as brave. The only one that could be in question is morally straight, but how is morally straight defined? I think the main opposition to accepting gays in anything comes from a religious definition of morality. Isn't a certain very large church well known for attracting and protecting sexual predators? It's ok if your a priest I guess. And this is where people look for moral guidance?

As NC so nicely pointed out - change, even blatantly right change, is slow to happen.

Like (0 likes)
Well..having known some upstanding Eagle Scouts who earned the highest honor in Scouting..that were gay. I wonder why now? There have been gays in scouting for my lifetime at least. And that goes for the Girl Scouts as well. As an adult I knew but their and my sexuality preferences never came up. They were trustworthy, hardworking and I worked alongside them at camps grounds for 18 years or more.

That being said sexual predator/pedophiles should have no place with access to children.

The ones you have to worry about are the ones who look normal but aren't.

Normal gays aren't interested in children.

Just my opinion.

Like (0 likes)
What on earth is wrong with you people!!!
This thread has nothing whatsoever to do with gardening and I'm offended.
Moderator---Please SHUT THIS DOWN!!!

Just kidding, BP.
However I really would like to know if you've given any thought at all to giving us a dedicated forum where we can discuss this kind of stuff?

In the meantime, I'll drop my two cents into this particular well.

Rock wrote:
quote:
I think they will commit suicide if they change their policy.

I agree with him. It will be "suicide" if they do.
But I also believe it'll be "death by a thousand cuts" if they don't.

In other words, the BSA's days are numbered. Oh, they'll continue to exist under the BSA banner, and they'll continue to have some semblance of organization and purpose; but the BSA as we have known it for a century will soon be over.

However, if I had my druthers I'd wish for them to vote against the change. I think the organization's demise will occur a bit farther into the future than it will if they vote for the change.

There's plenty of room for all God's creatures.......................right next to the mashed potatoes.

The high Utah Desert---Zone 3 to 5

(it's a crap shoot every year)

Like (0 likes)
Never heard these questions answered so maybe it will be here.
Concerning gay rights, what are they? Where are they enumerated? Concerning LGBT, do they all want the same rights? What are they for the "B" group?

Dirt

Like (0 likes)
Okay - tell me the truth - is there actually a weekly conference call to discuss topics to get me going?

Gay rights are pretty much the same as women's rights, black rights, Native American rights, etc. It's really just one right: the right to enjoy the same treatment as people who are not gay. This means not being discriminated against legally, ethically, or personally because of whom they choose as a love interest.

To that extent, yeah, the L's, B's, and T's all want the same right(s).

You know the kind of rights I'm talking about. for example, the right to be a teacher, or a Boy Scout leader, or the right to be legally married. The right to hold hands with a partner in public without being afraid of attack or ridicule or being targeted for other not so nice behavior.

Uh oh, I can see I am working myself up...and I'm not sure you were serious about asking!!

I disagree  - Scrooge -

North Carolina - Zone 7a

Like (0 likes)
Big Bear California:

So, Guess we will never know if the guy blew the whistle on a true police brutality and ended up getting fired for tattleing? Or if the brutality was real and covered up?

Well, we all knew he wouldn't ever be caught alive, from the get go.

Will Dr. Phil be writing a book on this?

Does anyone think Dr. Phil is a joke, and goes after sensational stuff for ratings, and not helping? I rank him just below Jerry Springer, and his trailor trash fights. Hahahahahah

MARYLAND zone 6
Like (0 likes)
Blowing the whistle and getting fired is not grounds for his actions. Not implying that's your opinion but has been expressed. He has quite the following. I'm waiting for the MSM to give a complete lowdown on his ideology. Hasn't been the case as of late?

Dirt

Like (0 likes)
Yep, he was over the top, but I wonder if they ever will tell that part.

If the guy really did blow the whistle on bad stuff and lost his job because of a cover up. Well he probably couldn't get another job after being fired. If a new job ask why he was fired, the answer would have been "confidental".

And then years of STEWING, getting nuttier by the minute..............

I'd like to know if there was a cover up and it ruined this guys life and he went bonkers.

Goodness, Dr Phil will have to interview someone about this on TV, whether the person has a clue or not.

MARYLAND zone 6
Like (0 likes)
He chose his own destiny.

Like (0 likes)
There is nothing like a shove.

MARYLAND zone 6
Like (0 likes)
No amount of shoving is an excuse for murder. It is arrogance to say that because (in my eyes) I was given the shaft, I am justified in killing innocent people (or guilty ones, for that matter).

Like (0 likes)
He was accused of crimes. He was denied his right to a jury trial by law enforcement actions. At least two completely innocent people were injured by an out of control police force while others narrowly missed that same fate. I think he proved his point.
If he was guilty of the crimes for which he was accused, I condemn his actions but at the same time, having heard the live reports of the government officials planning and executing the plan to burn the house around him, I say that two wrongs will never equal justice.
In the eyes of the law as spelled out in our Constitution he was an innocent man because he had never been tried and convicted by a jury. That's the way I would want to be treated so that's the way I want all my fellow humans to be treated.
If in our society today a person can be tried and convicted by the media and executed by police on their word alone, we must admit that we are no longer a civil society.
But then, Waco pretty much showed us that didn't it? Not one of those children was guilty of anything except being in the wrong place.

“We’re gypsies in the palace, he’s left us here alone The order of sleepless knights will now assume the throne.”

western Kentucky, the land between the rivers

Like (0 likes)
We are no longer a civil society. Wonder how many people on this board if wronged would murder to prove their point? I'm reluctant to put any of my eggs in the media basket.

Dirt

Like (0 likes)
Okay - just finished reading his "manifesto".

Everything else aside, by the time this was written, this guy was homicidal and unbalanced. In his own words, he has a history of violence. "What I should have done was put a bullet in his skull" - in response to why he tried to choke another officer for using a derogatory word.

If my dates are right, his entire "law enforcement career" was 3.5 years long. I believe him when he says the LAPD is corrupt and full of bad behavior - not even close to being an excuse or even an explanation for his reaction, or his advising people to refuse to ever render medical aid to downed officers.

Having been a manager for many years, it bears a lot of similarities to manifestos I have received from terminated employees. I guess I should be thankful most of them weren't armed.

I disagree  - Scrooge -

North Carolina - Zone 7a

Like (0 likes)
GD said no amount of shoving is an excuse for murder.

Dirt Pit wonders how many of us if wronged would murder to prove their point.

So what would it take for any of us to kill another human being?

If you are trying to hurt my son or molest my grandchildren, I'll dig your eyes out. But that's just me,

and I know that's not what his issue was,

Just asking what it would take for any of us to go crazy and harm, maim, or kill another.

MARYLAND zone 6
Like (0 likes)
I'm agreeing with Dirt in not putting my eggs in the media basket---even where the manifesto is concerned. If I were the head of a corrupt company that was about to be exposed I'd write up a confession like that and have someone post on Facebook. The majority of the people who read it will believe it and will believe that he wrote it. The rest can be ridiculed as conspiracy theorists---by a department that has been proven more than twice to conspire to cover up abuses and corruption.
Unlike the journalists of the '60s and '70s who asked hard questions when things weren't logical, today's herd seems more interested in what caused Lady Gag-me to fall down. Frowner

“We’re gypsies in the palace, he’s left us here alone The order of sleepless knights will now assume the throne.”

western Kentucky, the land between the rivers

Like (0 likes)
I find myself agreeing on the media angle. It's hard to discern with all the variations of the story I've heard/read. How may wallets and IDs did the man have? They seemed to be reporting that his ID was found at least once a day. And apparently it was made of some kind of fireproof material because it was found in the wreckage of the completely destroyed cabin.
This case brings to mind the statement someone made a long time ago, "All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." I hope that a lot of good men in law enforcement across the US are re-thinking their non-action in cases like this one.

Like (0 likes)
quote:
Just asking what it would take for any of us to go crazy and harm, maim, or kill another.

There isn't anything that would make me "go crazy" and harm, maim, or kill another.
Simply ain't going to happen.

However, I would have no problem harming, maiming, or killing another for the purpose of protecting myself or someone else from serious harm at the hands of an assailant.

There's plenty of room for all God's creatures.......................right next to the mashed potatoes.

Like (0 likes)
quote:
Originally posted by weedkicker:

However, I would have no problem harming, maiming, or killing another for the purpose of protecting myself or someone else from serious harm at the hands of an assailant.

Page 8 of today's CWP class handout. Killing is the correct answer.
1911 to qualify. After meeting the qualification score I had to go for head shots "because", 5 out of 5. Cool
Got to mail in my Utah application.

Dirt

Like (0 likes)
quote:
Dirt Pit wonders how many of us if wronged would murder to prove their point.

Strictly rhetorical, I don't wonder.

Dirt

Like (0 likes)
Hmmm...having "read" Kentucky law with a very distinguished, elderly attorney for a few years, I know that in our Commonwealth there is a term---justifiable homicide. All that "reading" was a number of years ago but I do remember that you can't shoot them in the back and call it justifiable.

Like (0 likes)
<<There isn't anything that would make me "go crazy" and harm, maim, or kill another.
Simply ain't going to happen.>>
- do you just not know anyone who happens to be mentally ill, or do you just not believe that mental illness is a real thing? There absolutely are mental conditions which could cause you to "go crazy" and not understand what you are doing.

<<I would have no problem harming, maiming, or killing another for the purpose of protecting myself or someone else from serious harm at the hands of an assailant.>>
- well, then there's that. Once I had children, my attitude changed a bit, and I realized that I would not have any problem at all hunting down and killing someone who harmed my children. That decision was made with clear head, and no discernible mental illness, and acknowledging I'd have to spend my life in prison for the decision.

Also, I am good with killing zombies <g>.

I disagree  - Scrooge -

North Carolina - Zone 7a

Like (0 likes)
quote:
Originally posted by Dirt Pit:
Got to mail in my Utah application.
Dirt

It will be a pleasure to have you in the club. Smiler

Like (0 likes)
quote:
Originally posted by NCGarden:

do you just not know anyone who happens to be mentally ill, or do you just not believe that mental illness is a real thing? There absolutely are mental conditions which could cause you to "go crazy" and not understand what you are doing.

I understand mental illness, NC., but I don't believe Lisaaann used the words "go crazy" in that context. I think she meant it in terms of "losing control" rather than a legitimate mental illness, and it was in that context that I gave my answer.

Like (0 likes)
Unless a person has a mental illness like schizophrenia, where they are hallucinating and detached from reality, they know right from wrong, like the rest of us. I do not agree that being angry or depressed is an excuse for lack of self restraint. I think it is insulting and condescending to the mentally ill to suggest otherwise.

Like (0 likes)
GrdenDmpls - I absolutely agree that the "mental illness" defense is used more often in cases where the underlying issue is not mental illness. But there are a number of legitimate mental illnesses, in addition to schizophrenia, which would explain irrational behavior. Note, I said explain, not excuse. I am not a fan of the legal defense. It is unfortunate to be crazy, but crazy behavior still needs to be dealt with (speaking strictly here from personal experience in a long family line of crazy).

I disagree  - Scrooge -

North Carolina - Zone 7a

Like (0 likes)
Anyone here still leave the doors to your house unlocked when you head to work in the morning?

MARYLAND zone 6
Like (0 likes)
yes indeedy!

(though I don't leave for work, but when I do leave....)

Zone 5/6  Northern New Mexico

Like (0 likes)

OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image