Forums
Search

No soup thread yet?

Usually someone like Buffalogal starts a 'cooler season' soup recipe thread. Since no one has, I will. What's your favorite comfort or warm-n-fuzzy soup recipe for that cold, rainy or snowy day? Never mind what comes off to everyone as nutritious. We want sinful. We want creamy. We want mushrooms or beef before zuchinni or okra. We want potato cubes and cheese before vegetable broth or no msg.

Here's mine.

Creamy Tomato Soup

Melt 3 Tbls butter in a pot
Add 2 tsp flour, stir and brown slightly (you're making a roux)
Add 2 cups tomatoes (crushed, diced, whole, whatever)
Cook a few minutes and add
1/4 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
pepper
2 C milk
1 C grated Parmesan cheese
Season with basil, oregano, whatever warms your soul, and heat thoroughly, but do not boil. Then enjoy with crusty bread and a smile.

~ Mary ~ ddogtalk at hotmail dot com There's nothing to like or dislike in another that isn't a reflection of yourself.
Chicken and noodles with dumplings would be my favorite comfort soup. Along with chili, ham and beans, chicken/sausage gumbo, veggie, chicken with rice/broccoli......

Makin' meself hungry!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Everything that blooms and grows, the garden angel scatters and sows...in the land of corn and pigs...Iowa Zone 4-5

Like (0 likes)
Wow, that tomato soup looks good-will definitely try it. Here's one (adapted from "Vegan Vittles")
Hungarian Mushroom Soup:
2 teaspoons olive oil
1 large onion, chopped

2 cups vegg or chicken broth
2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
1 Tablespoon dried dillweed
1 Tablespoon Hungarian sweet paprika
1 Tablespoon soy sauce

1/4 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup milk or cream

1/2 teaspoon salt
ground black pepper to taste

Saute onion in oil until soft. Add 1/2 cup of broth, mushrooms, dill weed , paprika and soya sauce. Stir to mix well. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes.

Place the flour in a small bowl and gradually whisk in the milk until smooth. Stir this liquid into the simmering mushroom mixture and cook stirring until thickened.

Stir in the remaining broth and adjust seasonings. Heat through, but do not boil.

Pair this with a loaf of Brownrexx's Dill Bread and dinner is served. Enjoy!

Like (0 likes)
I like set 'em and leave 'em recipes. This has been the family favorite for a couple of years.

3 lb chuck roast, cut into cubes and seared
2 onions - chopped
4 cloves garlic - minced
2 carrots - chopped
4 bay leaves
1 tsp thyme
6-8 cups beef broth
1 cup pearl barley
Salt and pepper to taste

Put everything into the crockpot and cook on low for 8 hours.

They say happiness is a thing you can't touch, a thing you can't see;

I disagree  - Scrooge -

North Carolina - Zone 7a

Like (0 likes)
Mumsey, madamezil, NCGarden,

You understood my request well. I got everything I asked for! Beef, sausage and mushrooms! I'm definitely going to try all of these and will keep you posted on DH's reaction. He's not exactly picky, but is certainly discerning.

Mumsey, would you share your dumpling recipe here? I've tried several, and am still looking for one that brings me back to my childhood.

Over the weekend I made a sort of a chicken tortilla soup. Started with browning 4 diced chicken thighs, then sauteed an onion and green pepper. Tossed these into a pot with around 4 cups chicken broth, 1 cup quick cooking brown rice, a can of hominy and a can black beans, both rinsed, and two smaller cans of salsa verde. I think I may have added a little more broth, and then after it was ready and I removed it from the heat, I stirred in a large dollop of sour cream. It was phenomenal with crushed tortilla chips, even when they softened. DH thought macaroni would have been good in place of the rice.

~ Mary ~ ddogtalk at hotmail dot com There's nothing to like or dislike in another that isn't a reflection of yourself.
Like (0 likes)
I made turkey vegetable soup ready for eating. Do I can it at this point? I made so much I was hoping to can it but if not I will freeze it.

Have a great gardening day! hoe, hoe, hoe Pea

Upstate NY, zone 5

Like (0 likes)
I haven't made any soup except for ham and beans in quite awhile. Thank you all for the ideas.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Bloom where you are planted.

Zone 4 Central South Dakota

Like (0 likes)
Missed this thread for a while. But here is my dumpling recipe, so easy it's silly!

FLUFFY DUMPLINGS
1 cup flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
2 T. real mayo (no substitutes)
1/2 cup milk

In a bowl, cut flour, salt, baking powder and mayo til mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add milk, stir just til mixed. Spoon into hot soup, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.

These are so light and fluffy, not doughy and tough at all. You can also make muffins with this, just spoon in to muffin cups.

I usually double the recipe as it only makes 4 muffins or 4 dumplings otherwise.

Let me know how you like it!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Everything that blooms and grows, the garden angel scatters and sows...in the land of corn and pigs...Iowa Zone 4-5

Like (0 likes)
Oooooh, Smiler mmmmmm, seriously. Wow. Every recipe featured so far in this thread was a hit with both I and DH.

madamezil,
That soup was incredibly delicious and sinful. DH has declared it the best yet, and I have to agree. Buffy, I hope you see this one, as I know you love creamy mushroom soups too! This one was a hit with DS and his family too.

Mumsey,
This most recent post of yours has warmed my soul. A tender and fluffy dumpling is what I've sought for years, and this worked! Consistently too! I used a variation of this to make a garlic and cheese sort of biscuit to serve with the above mushroom recipe, and they were all devoured by everyone, including my 'bread-hating' DGD. I think the smell is what made her give it a try, but eat the whole thing she did!

So, now, this begs the question, well, for me anyway, does anyone have a really good creamy cheese with sausage soup recipe they love? If so, please share. I am not afraid to use cheese with flavor and character.

Like (0 likes)
Mmmm. I don't know how I missed the mushroom soup recipe the first read, but I'm going to have to try that this weekend.

Yesterday I tried a recipe I had copied from somewhere and I jazzed it up a little bit. I'm calling it "Melt you face or cure your cold Lentil soup"

4 cups broth of your chosing- I used chicken
2 T. dry lentils
grated ginger root to taste
several cloves of garlic, sliced
2t. soy sauce
1 tsp. sugar

Cook these until lentils are tender, maybe 20 min or so.

Mix 1 Tblsp. cornstarch
3 Tblsp cooking sherry
2 tsp Mongolian fire oil
stir this mixture into the soup
add 11 oz frozen corn and a handful of jalepenos
simmer till heated thru

Maybe it's not a cold cure, but I do feel a lot better after eating a pot full of this yesterday.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Bloom where you are planted.

Zone 4 Central South Dakota

Like (0 likes)

OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image