Forums
Search

Crookneck squash look like bumpy gourds!

I grew these last year and had no problems. This year my crop is all bumpy and gourd looking. They look fine, but why are they bumpy?

Crookneck squash are supposed to be bumpy. The yellow straightneck are smooth (similar to zucchini). Are you positive you planted the same variety as last year?

Here's a pic:

http://www.hormel.com/kitchen/glossary.asp?id=33216&catitemid=

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Everything that blooms and grows, the garden angel scatters and sows...in the land of corn and pigs...Iowa Zone 4-5

Like (0 likes)
the squash in that picture should have been picked 4 days ago. They get bumpy when they are allowed to get big and go to seed. Number 1 squash are small, smooth and the seeds are small, not yet matured. Those in the pic are what I would consider inedible. I would toss them to the pigs. I pick mine about 2 to 3 days after bloom. They are about 4 to 6 inches long and smooth. Squash vine mosaic virus can cause squash to turn bumpy and change colors. THey will look like gourds. Some will be green and have darker green splotches. SVMV is spread by insects. Usually aphids and squash bugs.

Am I in my cabin dreaming? Or are you really scheming, to take my ship away from me? You better think about it. I just cant live without it. So please dont take my ship from me!!!
Like (0 likes)
Thank you!!!! I think it was too mature as the ton that are coming in now aren't as bumpy. Now I know to harvest earlier!

Like (0 likes)
ronivm,

Not sure, but if you used saved seeds, and had planted gourds, or even other related plants near the squash, they may have crossed, or the seeds might have been crossed with something else...you didn't say if you planted new seed, or saved seed.

farm,

I think the pic was from another source, not from ronivm.

Vicki

Like (0 likes)
Yes, they were. I was just explaining that they need to pick them before they start looking like those in the pic.

Am I in my cabin dreaming? Or are you really scheming, to take my ship away from me? You better think about it. I just cant live without it. So please dont take my ship from me!!!
Like (0 likes)
Gotcha, Farm...how's the family?
Vicki

Like (0 likes)
Wonderfull. Baby is a growin, older kids are gettin meaner every day. And its freakin HOT here in East Texas. AHHHH!!!!!

Like (0 likes)
Farm...sorry, but I've been out of town for 4 days & had no access to this.

Glad to hear the family is doing well!

I remember when my daughter was about 6 months old or so, just starting to sit up on her own & all, looking VERY cute...

She'd suddenly "fall" over & cry!

Guess what!

Her 2 year old brother was knocking the poor thing over! The jealousy had kicked-in! LOL!
She's 16 now & can take care of herself!

Watch-out for the knocker-downers!
Vicki

Like (0 likes)
ronivm,
How's the squash lookin' now?
Vicki

Like (0 likes)
Still the same. I tried picking them sooner, but they're coming in with bumps. I'm wondering if they're either a different variety or if they got meshed with something else somehow. I don't plant from seed. I buy seedlings from a woman at our local farmer's market. I'll have to ask her next time I'm out.

My zucchini is fab, tomatoes are started to ripen and my japanese cucumber aren't growing as fast as we can eat them! LOL!

Thanks for asking!

Like (0 likes)
This year, I tried planting some "Pennsylvania Dutch Yellow Crookneck Squash", an heirloom variety. These puppies are HUGE!!. One squash easily fed four of us. They are said to get up to 10-20 pounds, although mine were probably about 4-5 pounds. The neck is nothing but firm, orange flesh, and all the seeds are neatly contained in the "bulb" area. I've got plenty of seeds saved, if anyone wants some, free.

Like (0 likes)
ronivm,

Yup!

I'm thinking that the plants you bought must have gotten crossed with something, if they were supposed to be smooth squash, but there are yellow crookneck squash that are supposed to be slightly bumpy, too!

How do they taste?
Vicki

Like (0 likes)
They taste fine! It's just so weird.

Like (0 likes)
I would like to try some of those George, if ya have some to send me. email me for my address. bhollis68@hotmail.com

Like (0 likes)
George,
Me too!
Email me at vseaver56@hotmail.com for my address. I would be glad to send you a SASE, if you like!
Vicki

Like (0 likes)
Vicki,

Check your e-mail. By the way, I've updated my profile so that anyone can see my e-mail address. Anyone wanting seeds, drop me a line.

Like (0 likes)
I will check my email...thanks!
It probably went in my junk, and I hope I didn't just delete it!
Vicki

Like (0 likes)

OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image