Forums
Search

Striped green squash?

I bought a zuc plant at the farmers' market this spring and have been amazed at how long it was taking to produce. It has the big zuc leaves, lots of males blooms, then finally some females appeared and to my amazement the little bulbs were golden instead of green...hmmm. When I checked them today they were about 6 inches long and shaped like a crooked neck yellow squash with the bumpy skin texture but they have light green and white stripes. I tried one tonight and they have a very mild flavor that DH described as more cool than sweet, almost like a squash had crossed with a cuke. Anyone familar with this type of squash?

I think it might be a striped green cushaw, which is an heirloom in your neck of the woods. Do a search online and see if looks like the same thing. Lucky you!

MD Eastern Shore, Zone 7
Like (0 likes)
It does sound like a cushaw. If left on the vine they'll reach the size of a small pumpkin or large winter squash and will keep for 3 or 4 months through the winter. Small they're good like summer squash, large they can be treated as a winter squash or can be fixed like pumpkin, used for pies or bread. If that's what you have--you ARE lucky!!

Like (0 likes)
Save some seeds and pass them around!!

Like (0 likes)
Could they be Cozelle squash? which is a striped Italian heirloom.

Like (0 likes)
If the plant has a sprawling vining habit then I would vote cushaw which is a wonderful plant. My family grows a white cushaw for pies, bread, and cookies. If the plant has a compact growth habit then I would vote for the Cozelle that rabbity mentioned.

It's only a weed if you can't use it!
Like (0 likes)
The plant could simply be from a seed that was a summer squash - yellow or zuch that had crossed the year before with a winter squash. I've had all kinds of squash come from the compost pile that I re-planted and goodness only knows what it came from or what it was.

Like (0 likes)
I'm letting one grow to see how they develop. The big one is about 8 inches long and is now white with yellow stripes. It began as a fairly compact and upright plant but is now beginning to sprawl. Will try a photo:
http://i761.photobucket.com/al...eandyellowsquash.jpg

Like (0 likes)
Kalico that picture looks like you got a yellow sqaush crossed with something else. Could be a gourd cross. Have fun with your mystery plant.

It's only a weed if you can't use it!
Like (0 likes)
It is certainly perplexing but the small ones are quite delicious. Can't find a single gardener who can identify them...they just shake their heads. I'm letting two of them grow to see just how big they will get and if they will morph into winter squash. My mother grew a winter squash that was green and white striped and was huge so I'm wondering if this is similar. And to think that it was supposed to be an heirloom zuc! Big Grin

Like (0 likes)
It sure is cool looking. Thanks for posting the picture.

Like (0 likes)
It definitely is not a cushaw or a cozelle. It looks like a giant "Delicata".

Like (0 likes)
I agree, NOT a cushaw for sure. Interesting looking tho.

Like (0 likes)
That baby is still growing and changing its skin patterns!
http://i663.photobucket.com/al...geyellowsquash02.jpg

This is fun! Every time I think I might have it identified, I go out and look and it has changed.

Like (0 likes)
the name of the squash is "delicata"

Like (0 likes)
Doesn't have the delicata shape and the stripes are a little more pronounced than a delicata. Still, if it has a "corn" or "popcorn" taste or scent, it might be a form of that. My idea is- if it tastes good, eat it. Who cares what it is. And, you might try saving seed, if there is a chance it is OP.

Abigail, all 9 kids grown and 16 little gardeners: what a harvest!

Zone 7a, Far Rockaway, New York

Like (0 likes)
Sorry guys but it doesn't have the shape or color of the delicata. The lady who sold it to me actually came to the house to see it. Just stood and shook her head.
The one I ate tonight was very sweet, about 8 inches long and the texture was far more dense than the smaller one. I cut it into half-inch slices, smothered them in cornmeal and fried them up with some big fat slices of red onion.
I'm leaving two of them to grow for seeds.

Like (0 likes)
I was wondering about your discovery! So there are white Cushaws? I have a volunteer in the front yard that looks like a cushaw, but it is more white than green.

Like (0 likes)
I've seen cushaws in green, white and striped. They usually get at least 18 inches or more and are curved a bit like a crook necked squash. The white ones will have a greenish tint at first, but tend to get whiter as they grow.

Like (0 likes)
The lady who sold me the plant thinks it could perhaps be a cushaw that got crossed with a yellow squash because they have the yellow/white striped pattern but also have the warty appearance of a yellow crooked-neck. She was very embarassed at first that the plant she sold was not as advertised but I quickly reassured her that it has not been a problem, just an interesting and delicious mystery. OOLM (One of life's little mysteries---a common expression around our place.)

Like (0 likes)

OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image