Forums
Search

tomato juice

I am the fortunate owner of an old "Squeezo" strainer (sort of like an old meat grinder, but it separates tomatoes into juice and pulp out one end, and skin, seeds, and rough stuff out the other.)

So today I began taking all my not-marketable tomatoes, cutting out the rough spots, and putting them through Squeezo. Got about 3 qts. Then I'll add some onion, celery, a bayleaf and a little basil, parsley, salt, pepper, sugar, and cook that mix, put it back through the squeezo, boil and can the results.

Trust me on this: You have never tasted a more exquisite tomato juice.

But where do you get a Squeezo these days (except from your spouse Cool)? I have no idea. They were from Garden Way years ago.

Worth pursuing...

That sounds good, I'll have to give it a try

The squeezeo and deluxe squeezo are both still available today online. My ma gave me her "old" deluxe last year, still haven't used it yet though

Btw, all parts are also available, although the scroll auger is now plastic. I replaced only the rubber gasket

Included with the original box was the recipe book and magazine ad from 1986, back then they sold the deluxe for 59.95 now sells @259.95

Like (0 likes)
Why am I not surprised? Mine was a gift from a friend. $259 is a bit steep, but if you use it every year, it will pay for itself. I've never seen a device like it.

Like (0 likes)
Looks a lot like my mom's victorio strainer. They really are great. I've smashed apples through that thing since I was four. Things like that are so much fun for kids to "help" use.

North Central Illinios

Like (0 likes)
Peter,
Congrats on the Squeezo. I'd never even heard of it until this summer while visiting friends. He demonstrated it for us and I just HAD to have one. The whole family chipped in and the total online was $276 for the deluxe with all the screens. We've used it 4 times already - and even at this price, it will be 'paid off' with so many jams and jellies made and shared. (for many generations!)

I'm planning on using it to make tomato sauce tonight. Do you have a recipe for your juice wrt the amount of sugar, etc.? Otherwise, I'll just wing it and do the taste test.

"Leave Room in Your Garden for Angels to Dance."

West of Denver           Zone 5b

Like (0 likes)
okay - googling this squeezo up...

Like (0 likes)
Tomato, the recipe I use is out of the Squeezo booklet.
12 ripe tomatoes
1 slice onion
2 celery stalks w/ leaves
1 bay leaf
2 sprigs parsley
2 level tsp salt
pepper to taste
1 tsp sugar.

quarter tomatoes and other ingredients in saucepan, simmer 30 min, stirring often. Don't boil. Put mixture through squeezo, return to saucepan, bring to boiling, and fill hot clean canning jars. Process in boiling water bath for 15 minutes. Yields approx. 4 pts.

Like (0 likes)
Hey I like your way to prepare tomato soup its really very different!! I always do it like this even that is good if you want you can try it:

Ingredients:
* 3 pounds very ripe garden tomatoes,cored, roughly chopped
* 1 1/4 cups chopped celery with leaves
* 1/3 cup chopped onion
* 2 Tbsp sugar (to taste)
* 1 teaspoon salt
* Pinch black pepper
* A couple shakes of Tabasco sauce, about 6-8 drops (to taste)

Method:
1 Put all ingredients into a large non-reactive pot (use stainless steel, not aluminum). Bring to a simmer and cook, uncovered, until mixture is completely soupy, about 25 minutes.
2 Force mixture through a sieve, chinoise, or food mill. Cool completely.
Store covered and chilled. Will last for about 1 week in the refrigerator.
Makes about 1 quart.

Like (0 likes)
Pfossel - purchased a new Victorio Squeezo for a tad over 50 dollars and to be honest with the improvements my old one was easier to assemble and take apart. I love the item for processing tomatoes and apple sauce, can't imagine processing without- The deluxe must be motorized, going to make note of your tomato juice recipe..tks

Like (0 likes)
i have been juicing since 1979, in those daz, the super fantastic machine was from europe, called the ULTRAMATIC, today it's the Jack LaLanne --hahahha. Then there's the auger type, for wheat grass juice... Green Star is the super brand. I like making my own V8 Big Grin

»☼Ö®≡Gö∩RΣÐ☺«

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Willemette Valley Oregon, 7A?  Member since 2005

Like (0 likes)
Squeezo is the name of my next band... Cool

Seriously, I also use the Jack LaLane. Which reminds me, need to cull my Mother's citrus trees and juice the fruit.

Coastal Southern CA, USDA 10, Sunset 22

"Nothing is as optimistic as a seed catalog." Charles Mann

Like (0 likes)
I never tried squeezeo before. This is worth to try for sure. I love tomato juice. It is a great cleanser for the body.

Like (0 likes)

OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image