Forums
Search

POPCORN IN MULCH

Before I decided to ask this question I did a search on popcorn & didn't see anything relivant to this but here goes.....We have a popcorn machine in our office where we sell popcorn for the childrens hospital, there is always left overs that gets thrown away at the end of the day, I was wondering if anyone could tell me if you can put popcorn in yer compost pile as long as no salt is added to it? It is popped in "popcorn oil" what ever that is, but it takes very little to pop a good size batch. Any suggestions, solutions, answers or comments will be greatly appreciated. I hate to see anything that can be recycled especially to my compost pile go to waste. A premature thank you to all.

I can't imagine why you couldn't use popped corn in your compost pile.
Are you afraid the un-popped will seed themselves?
I think I have dumped popped and un-popped into my pile with no porblems.

"Maybe one of the secrets of survival is to learn where to dance." Stanley Kunitz
Like (0 likes)
Any form of corn products are rich in nitrogen, phosphorus, and calcium. Excellent for composting. Plus any plain corn meal is a natural fungicide.

Don't worry too much about salt content from food scraps in a big compost pile. I talked to the great compost expert/author Malcolm Beck from San Antonio, TX the other day about his composting methods. He said that if you can guarantee that your compost piles have 2-3 times more browns than greens in it, and is constantly aerated, the aerobic microbes will neutralize all or any potentially high NacCl salt levels from the organic matter, by using the carbon sources, forming healthy, safe, humus, and soluble nutrients.

Using sugar products like liquid or dry molasses powder is anither way to speed up aerobic microbial growth in order to neutralize pathogens, diseases, mild toxins, NaCl salts, as well as greatly heating up a compost pile.

Like (0 likes)
Thank y'all so much, I want to be careful about what I put in my pile, I've worked hard trying to make it happen, I just didn't want to do anything to ruin my work. I still haven't gotten it right yet I guess cause I still don't have a "hot" pile (guess I haven't gotton my ratio right) but it works just the same. I have LOTS of leaves, I use all my healthy dead plant bed material, all of the coffee grounds I can get from work, all of our kitchen scraps (with the exception of of meat & oil products) shreaded news papers, straw, no manure yet. I usually start in the fall & by mid-summer I have a beautiful pile. I do turn it quite a bit cause this time of year we get a lot of rain & it gets really soaked on the bottom, that's where the hard work part come in. Captain I'm graetful when you share your knowledge with me, I'm a simple fellow & don't always understand some of what you post, but I believe you're an awsome man, I would love to read a bio on you sometime, you have a vast knowledge, a veritable encyclopedia of information, thank you for sharing. God bless you & all on this wonderful site.

Like (0 likes)

OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image