Forums
Search

Help! Too many eggplants!

For the first time ever I have too many eggplants. It's the Asian type, which I never planted before. They are bearing like crazy, much earlier than the round American kind. So: how do I freeze them? And does anybody have any recipes other than ratatouille and eggplant parmesan?

[hr]Jennifer in zone 10, Los Angeles, Sunset zone 22
The only things I can think of off the top of my head are eggplant lasagna, and fried eggplant. My boyfriend's mom makes amazing fried eggplant. All I can tell you is after she slices the eggplant, she lays them on paper towels to get rid of some moisture, then she adds garlic salt (maybe she does that first-not sure) anyway then she dips it in an egg wash, bread crumbs, and lets them fry until golden in canola oil, or olive oil. That's all she does, and they are so good! I don't usually like things fried, but it can't be beat.

Like (0 likes)
You can cube them and saute or stir fry with olive oil and a few other veggies, top with parmesan cheese.

You can freeze it also, blanch for 4 min. in 1 gallon water and 1/2 c. lemon juice. Cool in cold water, drain well and freeze.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Everything that blooms and grows, the garden angel scatters and sows...in the land of corn and pigs...Iowa Zone 4-5

Like (0 likes)
You can always count on the OG'ers here. I did an advanced search here putting only eggplant in the word search box and selecting Recipe Exchange in Search By.

Vegan Eggplant recipes

Veggie Eggplant Pizza

Eggplant Lasagna

Baba Ghanoush

Italian Sandwiches

Freezing Eggplant

Eggplant Patties

Eggplant "Boats"

Did I tell you there were lots? Smiler I chased after an eggplant meat ball recipe I'd seen referred to, but never found it. Darn! Anybody remember peggy g referring to it or know what the recipe is? I'm going to be pulling onions, and even though it may be a bit late, I'm going to stop and get a couple eggplants and get them in that space! I didn't get any last summer. Frowner

~ Mary ~ ddogtalk at hotmail dot com There's nothing to like or dislike in another that isn't a reflection of yourself.
Like (0 likes)
Thank you!! Picking more eggplant today, will try some of these recipes. I'm already tired of ratatouille.

[hr]Jennifer in zone 10, Los Angeles, Sunset zone 22
Like (0 likes)
I hope my eggplants do well. The Rosa Bianca looks very well in it's pot. THe Listadia De Gianda are blooming and the best thing about eggplant????? The deer don't like them....

Like (0 likes)
Here's a recipe for eggplant that I have made more than any other - I don't even need the recipe when making it, as I could make it in my sleep! I may have posted this previously, but it wouldn't come up on a search.

SZECHWAN EGGPLANT

1 lb eggplant, preferably oriental, cit into 3/4 in. cubes
1/2 lb ground pork or turkey
1 tb sesame oil
3 tb soy sauce, 1/2 & 1/2 light and dark
8 scallions, chopped (about 2 c)
4 tb oil
8 large cloves garlic, minced
1 in. piece ginger, minced
2 tb chili paste with garlic
1 tb sugar
1/2 c water

A. Combine the meat, soy sauce, sesame oil, and half of the scallions in a bowl and set aside.
B. Heat a wok or large saute pan over high heat a min. or so ''til hot; add oil, swirl, and heat 30 sec. Add garlic and ginger and stir-fry 30 sec. Add chili paste and SF 30 sec. Add meat and SF 2 min, or until totally browned. Add eggplant, reduce heat slightly, and cook 4 min., tossing frequently. Add sugar and cook 2 min. longer.
C. Add water and reserved scallions, mix well, and cover. Cook 15 min. over med-high heat, stirring once or twice, until EP is tender and most of the water is cooked off.

This recipe, when doubled, will serve as a great coating for 1 lb. of pasta. It is a bit much to double in a 14 in. wok-I use my 20 in., or a 12 in. saute pan. And don't worry about the 2 soy sauces if you don't have the dark-just use all light...it's still great.

Dave

Dave    in Woodbury, NJ  zone 6B

Like (0 likes)
I posted this last year...a recipe for caponata, using eggplant.

http://forums.organicgardening.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/5541078301/m/6801008011

Dave posted his version also.

Sounds ratatouilleish but has that sweet sour zing from the sugar and vinegar combo...

I don't think you use white sugar...maybe brown sugar could be substituted...don't know.

Do know it is absolutely delicious!

I'll be making lots this year, I'm sure...I have 19 ichiban plants growing like gangbusters!

You asked how to freeze...
I freeze mine by slicing eggplant less than 1/2 inch or so...make layers on a big cookie sheet which I lay across the sink, salting each layer then let it sit a while.
Then later when the water pools, blot up excess with clean dishtowels (I have ones specifically for the eggplant Big Grin.)
Then dip in flour, then in mixture of beaten egg with a little water.
I then fry in some peanut oil, turning when they look like they need it, then drain on clean paper bags...any excess oil is absorbed into the bags so the eggplant is never greasy...you can pat excess oil with paper towels if needed.

I freeze it kind of flat in ziplocks...I use this type of eggplant for future parmigianas...so that when I want to make one, I don't have to make a mess frying...and it keeps well.

Judy
Smiler

~~~~ I garden ♥ therefore I am. ~~~~

~~~~ Zone 7a  Southeastern PA ~~~~ Member since 2002 ~~~~

Like (0 likes)
Instant Pickles
1 lb. eggplants
2 tsp. salt
1/2 c. water
3 Tbsp. sugar
3 Tbsp. soy sauce
3 Tbsp. Japanese vinegar (aji mirin)
2 red chili peppers
Wash eggplants and slice into 1/4 inch
thick pieces, crosswise.
Add salt and water
Let stand for 10 minutes.
Then rub lightly until eggplants are soft.
Squeeze between hands to remove excess water.
Add sugar, soy sauce and vinegar
May be served immediately or
will keep indefinitely in the refrigerator.
Compliments "Our Family's Favorite"

Like (0 likes)
Mustard Pickled Eggplant
2-3 long eggplant (3 cups, sliced)
1 tablespoon Hawaiian salt
Mustard Sauce:
2 teaspoons mustard
...(Colman's original English Muatard)..
...(Albertson's market)..
1/4 cup soy sauce
2 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoons lemon juice
1 teaspoon vinegar
Slice eggplant diagonally,
about 1/8-inch thick
Sprinkle with salt and let stand
for at least 30 minutes.
(Eggplant will become limp after salting.)
Add a few drops of water to mustard
to make a paste:
combine with remaining ingredients.
Rinse salt from eggplant,
squeeze out excess liquid.
Add to sauce and mix well.
May be served immediately
or allowed to stand overnight.
Yield: 1 1/2 pints.
...Compliments of Muriel K. M....

Like (0 likes)
Pickled eggplant
Sprinkle with salt and let stand
for at least 30 minutes.
(Eggplant will become limp after salting.)
Place eggplants into container with
miso (soybean paste)
in refrigerator for...
1 week;
2 months.
Then slice and consume.
....compliments; mom...

Like (0 likes)
I discovered that eggplant makes a great meat substitue in Chili (con Eggplant). I even put some in when I'm making my Chili carne style. Adds lots of good nutrition and no fat to your chili.

Like (0 likes)
You are not alone. I planted a variety of eggplant w/ a green skin called Rosa Bianca. It prodiciously produces eggplants that are easily a 15-18 inches long. I've found that I can use the eggplant anyway I would use squash and even use it combined with squash. One of my family's favorites takes the old squash casserole recipe and simply substitutes using all eggplant or half and half b/c I have a lot of both right now. This is my variation.

Squash/Eggplant Casserole
3 cups of squash
3 cups of eggplant
1 large carrot
1 large onion
1 large clove of garlic
2 cans of cream of chicken soup
1 1/2 cups sour cream
2 cups bread crumbs
1/2 stick butter, melted

Cut squash and eggplant into bite size pieces. Peel carrot and chop. Rough chop onion and garlic. Add all to enough water to cover and parboil until squash and eggplant are slightly soft. Drain thoroughly. In a mixing bowl combine soup, sour cream and vegetables. In a separate bowl combine melted butter and bread crumbs. Add half of vegetable mixture to a 9x13 baking dish. Layer with half of the bread crumbs. Add the remaining vegetable mixture and top with the last of the bread crumbs. Bake in a 350 degree oven for about 25 minutes or until brown and bubbly.

Like (0 likes)
Lucky you to have extra eggplant! I plant too many on purpose now so I can enjoy in the winter. Here are my 2 favorite ways to freeze eggplant for meals.

1) eggplant parmesean. I bread and bake the eggplant and then separate them into meal size packages that includes marinara sauce and cheese. Freeze. In the winter, we assemble the pieces in a casserole dish and bake until hot. It's not like fresh eggplant parmesean but it tastes just as good

2) baba ganoush. There are several recipes on this site and others. It is wonderful after freezing. I once read that adding roughly chopped pine nuts adds a great flavor, and now that is the only way I make it. I'll freeze with feta cheese if there is some around. Serve with warmed pita bread. Another idea for baba ganoush is on pizza. Spread over crust, add pesto or pizza sauce, add anything like olives, chicken, artichoke hearts, and some cheese and eat heartily.

Enjoy!

Like (0 likes)
EGGPLANT FRIES:

Slice lengthwise into fry-shaped pieces (1/4" to 1/2" thick). Cut only as many at a time as you can fit into a deep-sided saucepan or fryer (otherwise they brown). Pour in enough peanut oil to cover the bottom 1/8" - heat to med. high (but not smoking). Dredge eggplant in a mix of garlic powder, onion powder, flour, salt and pepper. Fry in oil, turning often - when golden brown, drain on paper towels and serve immediately. Best when HOT and fresh - great with burgers, steaks, Italian dishes.

Like (0 likes)
eggplant is a wonderful substitute for meat, here are a few that I've done in restaurants for vegans;E.L.T(B.L.T. w/o bacon), dredge sliced eegplant in Olive oil and flour ,fry to golden brown pat off excess oil E.L.T to your hearts content ;if you prefer grilled baste with your basting brush sprinkle w/ your favorite herbs and grill until al'dente Wink

Like (0 likes)

OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image