Forums
Search

Maple wood OK for mulch and compost?

My Father-in-Law took a stump grinder to what was left of a couple of old maple trees in our backyard, which reduced the wood to small pieces and sawdust size bits. I would like to use the larger stuff as mulch and the finer particles to mix up with compost to add to my raised bed this fall - is maple OK to use for this?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ "If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need." - Cicero, Roman statesman/philosopher
I can't see any reason why maple wouldn't be ok. It's one of the few non-fruit trees that we still gather food products from (maple syrup), and since non-food woods are fine, I can't imagine any problem with maple. My only concern would be that as a super dense hardwood it might take longer to break down. Still, if you're only using very small chunks in your compost, I'd think it would be okay. For the same reason, I'd expect it to make an excellent mulch. Someone correct me if I'm wrong on any of this.

Like (0 likes)
Maple should make a fine mulch and a good addition to the compost. If the trees were recently felled, the mulch would be especially if you are using it to smother grass, etc., since the fresh wood chips will retain their nitrogen until they cure, and will bind nitrogen in the surrounding soil. It's fine to use on established plantings, but I'd be a bit leery on new plantings until it seasons. If it has been down long enough to season, it's mulch like you'd find at your local box store or nursery. In the compost, if it's really fine you want to spread it a bit like you would grass clippings but other than that it should make a good addition.

Like (0 likes)
No worries - maple is absolutely fine to use as mulch.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"My body is a temple - unfortunately, it's a fixer-upper."

"And no, I'm NOT being snarky."

Zone 7a, Culpeper, Virginia

Like (0 likes)
You bet!

__________________________ You can call me Hairy, Moose, or Knuckle. Knucklehead is ok too, as well as Anthony, Tony or perhaps if you prefer, an old Fudknucker . It don't matter what you call me; as long as you call me in time for supper!
Like (0 likes)

OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image