Forums
Search

Minnesota Midget Melons

Anybody have any experience with these? Grew them for the first time this year as the catalogue said they were good for short growing seasons. Have two plants and they are just loaded. Lots of pollination happening and finally have sunny weather. Are they tasty melons or have I wasted my time?

I guess you'll find out when they ripen. Patience is a virtue, and an annoying one at that.

Abigail, all 9 kids grown and 16 little gardeners: what a harvest!

Zone 7a, Far Rockaway, New York

Like (0 likes)
I LOVE Minnesota midgets! We used to grow them years ago, not just for their short seasoness (is that a word?) but for the flavor. They're delicious. A type of watermelon, as I recall.

Alas they disappeared from seed catalogs, and I forgot them. What was your source?

Like (0 likes)
I got the seeds from Heritage Harvest Seeds, a small heirloom seed company in Manitoba. From the description they look to be a type of cantaloupe. BTW, am adding Hakurei turnips to my must grow list-they were absolutely delish.

Like (0 likes)
Thanks. And let us all know how the melons turn out. And what sort they are. I could swear they were watermelons, but then my brain synapses aren't what they used to be.

Like (0 likes)
Minnesota Midget Melons? I'd expect them to come in Post-It note packets sealed with Scotch Tape.

Like (0 likes)
Oh, good one Matt. And if they get too heavy for the vines, I'll be able to hang them up with Command removeable hooks. Big Grin

Like (0 likes)
I ate my first one today. Although it has been super dry and the melons haven't been watered well, the melon was just good tasting not great.

------------------------------------------------

Small market and CSA grower. 1/2 acre. Doing too much by myself but trying. http://www.localharvest.org/member/M33044

Central Minnesota Zone 4

Like (0 likes)
I harvested a heaping half bushel of these today. Some were very tiny. They smell great.

Small market and CSA grower. 1/2 acre. Doing too much by myself but trying. http://www.localharvest.org/member/M33044

Central Minnesota Zone 4

Like (0 likes)
How do I know when these are ready? Will they just fall into my hand? Have never grown melons before, a couple are about the size of a tennis ball.

Like (0 likes)
I just picked a couple earlier this week. They basically fall of in your hand when they are ripe. They are quite small though. The big ones are softball sized. As far as flavor, so far they seem average for a cantaloupe. They definitely are earlier than the Healy's Pride that I am growing, which are much larger though.

North Central Illinios

Like (0 likes)
The stem just pulls away from the fruit. Plus they turn peach outside.
I am still picking many per day from very few plants! I also picked 2 charentais melons.

Central Minnesota Zone 4

Like (0 likes)
Thanks all. Since we have finally gotten a run of warm weather, I am anxiously awaiting the first melon. Will keep you posted.

Like (0 likes)
Pfossel, I got Minnesota Midget seeds from Pinetree this year. Unfortunately, I had a terrible time getting them started, so I'll have no idea what they taste like.

www.wigarden.blogspot.com
Like (0 likes)
These were pretty disappointing! Not much flavour, won't grow them again.

Like (0 likes)

OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image