Forums
Search

Another tragic death

Early on Friday morning a man entered a home a few miles from us and murdered and husband and wife. Our small community is shaken.
The wife was our vet's receptionist for the past ten years. She was unfailingly cheery but a great comforter when you needed comfort.
We were much relieved to learn this morning that the suspect has been apprehended but the peace of the community has been shattered. We have always been an "open door" community---as in---"If I'm not there just go to the back door and go on in and get what you need." It was so sad to hear folks cautioning one another to "lock up tight" and "Keep your friends Smith and Wesson nearby." and then wishing each other a Merry Christmas. The deputy who came by our place on Friday afternoon as I was working in the garden advised me to "go inside and get your weapon if you're going to be out here alone." ....talk about putting a chill in your bones. One random act of violence has not only taken the lives of two beautiful and loving people but seriously crippled the spirits of countless others.

“We’re gypsies in the palace, he’s left us here alone The order of sleepless knights will now assume the throne.”

western Kentucky, the land between the rivers

Was it random? Murder seldom is.

Abigail, all 9 kids grown and 16 little gardeners: what a harvest!

Zone 7a, Far Rockaway, New York

Like (0 likes)
Yes, according to the somewhat sketchy reports given out by law enforcement, it was pretty much a random crime. The suspect had lived at one time in a nearby town but had no known connections with his victims. He is said to have confessed to the crimes but no motive other than the theft of their truck was reported. Here's a link to a TV station's story about his arrest. http://www.wrcbtv.com/Global/story.asp?S=13625721

“We’re gypsies in the palace, he’s left us here alone The order of sleepless knights will now assume the throne.”

western Kentucky, the land between the rivers

Like (0 likes)
It is sad when this kind of a violent crime sends ripples through the community. I grew up in a city where as we reached adulthood we locked our doors. Up here, our doors were open. That has all changed. Now I keep the doors locked even when I go down to the garden. I have 5 dogs who would be protective but dogs can't stop a bullet. I hate guns.
I don't think that I'de carry a gun to the garden because I just might shoot myself. Maybe a mace cylinder hooked to my tool bucket. Or bring one of the dogs down with me.

Like (0 likes)

OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image