Forums
Search

BUGS!

So the bugs have arrived, I have flecks of white, fuzz like substance all over my tomato plants...then on the stems and lower leaves, red and green very small bugs. Are these all aphids? I tried to do some research but just am not sure.

Cucumber leaves have small holes in them,so something is munching on those and the bush bean plants. The beans had small brown bugs gathered on the bigger leaves(the plants are still quite small).

Does anyone have a link for newbie's that tells how to indentify them and what to do or anyone have suggestions for getting rid of them?

Thanks in advance.
Terri

Google aphids pictures, or any other bug you want to id. Bg dropped that hint and it saves time doing a search...just in case you aren't confused enough now, aphids can be green black or red depending on their stage of development. They make a kind of web like mess if it's a good infestation.
A blast from the hose will knock them off the plant..or soapy water spray...1 tsp: qt water..just use your soap scraps and dissolve them in water..or use ivory or dr bronners .
If its aphids they are simple to control with household products. Soap, not detergent. Don't spray in the bright sunshine.

Like (0 likes)
Great idea about googling for pictures. Thanks for the suggestion.

Like (0 likes)
Here is a site that might help too....

http://www.whatsthatbug.com/

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence."  David Ben-Gurion

S.W. Ga., zone 8b but acts more like zone 9

Like (0 likes)
White, fuzzy thingys on plants often are Aphids, but might be Mealy Bugs also. These can easily be knocked off the plants with a sharp spray of water, a one quart spray works quite well. Many people have found that using the garden hose can cause m ore damage then the Aphids or Mealy Bugs.
If you think you have a insect pest problem the first thing is to properly identify what you have and then determine if it is a large enough problem that needs you intervention. Often, in a good, helathy garden, beneficial insects will be at work keeping things under control and what you do might unbalance that.
If you determine some measure of control is necessary then always atart with the least toxic material possible, plain water for many, so that you do not kill off any beneficials that might be there.
Your brown bugs on the Cucumbers may be Stink Bugs or Squash Bugs. Look those up to be sure. Keep in miond that of the some 8,000,000 insect species there are only abhout 8,000 are considered pests. The rest if not beneficial (those eat the pests) are pollinators or simply innocuous thingys.

The sign of a good gardener is not a green thumb, it is brown knees.

West central Michigan along the lakeshore.

Like (0 likes)
I got a spray bottle today to use on them. The hose did look dangerous, especially to my tomato blooms. Most certain, the ones on the tomatoes are aphids.
Totally makes sense to not kill off beneficials but how do you know if it's bad enough to do treat it?

Whatever is on the bush bean leaves eating up the leaves...They are tiny brown(about the size of a head of a pin) and they fly...I looked up squash and stink bugs, don't think it's either of those. I will see if I can get a picture tomorrow to post.
thanks for sharing your experience.

Terri

Like (0 likes)
I went out to look at my garden yesterday morning and the ladybugs have found their way to my house! YEA!!!! They were feasting on the aphids! There seems to be one or two, maybe more will show for the party.

Like (0 likes)

OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image