Forums
Search

Dehydrating Seeds for Saving

I'm new at saving seeds and was wondering if you caould dry them in a dehydrator. I'd really appreciate the information. I"m putting up tomatoes now and I could have a lot of seeds to trade if I can get them dried correctly. Just wondering if this was possible.

Thanks
Jes

I am also interested in learning how to dry seeds and have a dehydrator too. Does anyone know where I might be able to find this information?

Like (0 likes)
I definately would not dry seeds in a dehydrator. Stored seeds must have some moisture to survive,(that is moisture within the shell).
I simply collect seeds late in the day and place them on a sheet of white paper in my garden shed for a few days. Tomato seeds are placed in a dish with a bit of water to ferment away pulp, then dried on the white paper. There is a wealth of information on the net about collecting and drying seeds, key in seed savers for a search.

Peace

Like (0 likes)
I save tomato seeds. Go to the Baker Creek Seed Company website for a quick primer. Tomato seeds require fermentation--it's a simple procedure but necessary to kill pathogens.

Don't use a dehydrator.

I am assuming you are saving Open Pollinated seeds and not hybrids. What type of tomato seed?

Like (0 likes)
Ferment your seeds, rince well and dry on a paper plate at room temperature.

Like (0 likes)

OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image
OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image OGFooter image